UV Sterilizer - Alibaba???

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't worried about your fish, I was worried about you and your family members.....but what do I know I bought an expensive/overpriced unit that was designed not to give me skin cancer and burn my retinas.

To each his own.
Thanks for the concern. 1st. Theres snout nose kids around the tank. 2nd. I have a welders black glass on top and I have the uv on a timer . On off cycle .

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! Pics!!!
Here you go for the haters lol

20210222_083411.jpg 20210222_083402.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thus the point of my original question: can anyone recommend a UV Chinese sterilizer that is nearly identical to the name brand guys. I worked in outsourcing vehicle parts for several years and know that much of the 'OEM' stuff is the same as off market.

Chinese, no, but perhaps this is available where you are (TMC = Tropical Marine Centre based in Europe I believe) ,,,,,

TMC Vecton, Advantage Pond/Aquarium, UV Sterilizer | Category A (americanaquariumproducts.com)

There's a reason why UV sterilizers are enclosed in an UV resistant, opaque housing. Anything that is actually an effective sterilizer (high output UVC) is going to present a significant health hazard if uncontained.

Last edited:

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't worried about your fish, I was worried about you and your family members.....but what do I know I bought an expensive/overpriced unit that was designed not to give me skin cancer and burn my retinas.

To each his own.
The lovely smell of ozone, and the retina damage is how you know it's working. Although I do wonder what kind of contact times you get on a sump bulb UV setup... I but they are actually pretty good compared to the $20 hang on ones.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7C704D43-8367-43B4-A3CD-516A24FEE9BD.gif

I don’t know what’s funnier… That you’re willing to damage your health to kill algae, or that you think that setup is actually working
Dude I'm not standing in front of the uv 24/7 yes it works .

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At R2R, we highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions. What we will not tolerate is the negativity, name calling, belittling attitude towards other members or the topics being discussed.

We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner. If you feel you are starting to get past your boiling point, walk away from the keyboard. Agreeing to disagree is often the best course of action.

Additionally, we understand that different people will make different choices and take different levels of risks, we encourage everyone to reef safely.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to the OP's question: Many of the OEM products do come from China, and many Chinese firms do 100% knock-offs using the same equipment, supplies and production techniques. It's essentially stealing.

But, if you want to get a cheap product that (maybe) works as well as a known OEM one, I'd recommend looking carefully at the OEM model you want and try and find a knock-off that looks exactly the same, down to the color and fittings etc.. There's almost certainly a Chinese copy that works as well, though you'll have no warranty or after-purchase support. I suspect that if you look long enough on Alibaba, you'll find what you're looking for.

YMMV. You may find only knock-offs that have cut corners. But you may luck out and get one that is an exact copy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back