UV sterilizer and salinity help

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, question. As soon as I run my uv sterilizer my neptune salinity probe drops from 35 to 31. When I turn the UV off it goes back to 35. Is there and electric current, possibly a short in the UV?

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a separate pump with the UV, and how far is the salinity probe from the UV?
Great question. I have a stand alone pump that's always on. Pump is in the 2nd chamber of 4 chamber 150 gal sump. Pump is in the 2nd chamber where the probes and the stand alone pump is in. The pump goes from the 2nd chamber into the uv sterilizer, the output of the uv is connected to a chiller, the chillers output leads back to the 2nd chamber. I usually never run my uv but I lost 90 percent of my acros and hard corals most likely rts.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try (temporarily) moving the salinity probe to see if that makes a difference. Also note that you're not getting the most efficiency with your UV by pulling from and returning to the same chamber.

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always try (temporarily) moving the salinity probe to see if that makes a difference. Also note that you're not getting the most efficiency with your UV by pulling from and returning to the same chamber

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, thank you. Only reason returned the output back to the 2nd chamber was for surface agitation. I'll change the output location now.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the probe wire run the same path as the pump or UV? If so try to seperate the probe wiring.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when you say the salinity drops when you turn the "UV on" does that mean the lamp or do you stop the pump and the lamp when the UV is turned off? If you turn the pump off then and that's when the salinity probe starts working, it could be the pump leaking electricity. However, I'm more apt to believe what you mean is just turning the lamp off, but water still flows through the UV. In that case, I agree with others, in that the cords for the UV Lamp are they running close to your Salinity probe cord? Relocate the salinity probe to a different area as well. Also, I've heard to try inverting the probe in the water as air bubbles can get trapped on or in the probe. By having it in the water upside down air escapes from the probe much easier.

I've heard Salinity probes are not that accurate. I never ran one, and don't think I will for this reason. Heh. I actually got the glass hydrometer that you float in the water to determine specific salt gravity, and measure that against my refractometer. The glass hydrometers are supposed to be the most precise. Just a pain to use.

OP
OP
Arif

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when you say the salinity drops when you turn the "UV on" does that mean the lamp or do you stop the pump and the lamp when the UV is turned off? If you turn the pump off then and that's when the salinity probe starts working, it could be the pump leaking electricity. However, I'm more apt to believe what you mean is just turning the lamp off, but water still flows through the UV. In that case, I agree with others, in that the cords for the UV Lamp are they running close to your Salinity probe cord? Relocate the salinity probe to a different area as well. Also, I've heard to try inverting the probe in the water as air bubbles can get trapped on or in the probe. By having it in the water upside down air escapes from the probe much easier.

I've heard Salinity probes are not that accurate. I never ran one, and don't think I will for this reason. Heh. I actually got the glass hydrometer that you float in the water to determine specific salt gravity, and measure that against my refractometer. The glass hydrometers are supposed to be the most precise. Just a pain to use.
The pump is always on since it's hooked to both chiller and uv. When I turn the bulb on I have the issue, I'm trying to figure out if I have a short since the uv light used to trip my gfi, last thing I want is my fish getting abused. I agree neptune is not that great I only use them as a guesstimate.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pentair EU40, it used to trip the GFI until I changed the GFI to a 20amp
More than likely the ballast is the issue. BTDT with a few different UV's (Aqua UV & Jebao) and with some grounding issues from a T5 lighting setup. Turn on the item and the salinity drops due to excessive electrical noise or a bad ground.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back