UV Sterilizer bulb usage

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running a 57 watt Aqua UV for years. I religiously replace the bulb once a year.

This past year using my Apex I have run the sterilizer only 12 hours a day. Does this allow me to skip replacing the bulb this year?

Thx.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a 57 watt Aqua UV for years. I religiously replace the bulb once a year.

This past year using my Apex I have run the sterilizer only 12 hours a day. Does this allow me to skip replacing the bulb this year?

Thx.
I believe so. Per aquauv the lifespan is 14 months when run 24/7.

Also remember to Inspect and clean the quartz sleeve often.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logically it would seem like it would last twice as long, but does the extra on/off reduce the life of the bulb at all. I don't know. Only reason I mention this is that my last one blew when I turned it on and it was only 8 months old.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logically it would seem like it would last twice as long, but does the extra on/off reduce the life of the bulb at all. I don't know. Only reason I mention this is that my last one blew when I turned it on and it was only 8 months old.
Good point.

I'm going to message aquauv now and ask. They have great CS.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes I always clean the quartz sleeve every 6 months. Very important not to forget, there is always build up.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yup, I try to clean every 3 months. Doesn't always happen but it def is needed.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That is a great point typically it would have almost no on off cycles.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the ballast/transformer would suffer from multiple on/off cycles more than the bulb.

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulb needs to be replaced because it looses the proper wavelength over time. The bulb still lights up, but looses effectiveness at sterilizing,
The unit going on and off may slightly (very) effect the lifespan of the bulb in terms of the bulb might blow (meaning it won’t light up). Ever notice your house light bulbs more often blow out when you turn em on... quick change on temperature, materials expanding, blah blah blah.
Can’t see the transformer being effected by going on and off.
You buy and use a uv for a purpose. Depending on size, flow, what you want sterilization to accomplish, run it as you intend. Not because the bulb lasts longer or out of fear that there a small change your bulb might blow.
I usually order a few bulbs at a time anyway. If bulb blows, change it.
Cleaning the sleeve probably shortens the bulb life in terms of it blowing out more than anything. Don’t find them to get too dirty. Or for that build up to effect the effectiveness much. I only clean when o change the bulb.

StlSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the wavelength change? I'd assume it was something changing or being depleted from the filament. I'm not trying to debate anything just trying to understand. I've been told to change UV bulbs out every year, but I've never looked into the science of why. Like you, I doubt the on/off cycle would reduce bulb life by much, but I don't know for sure.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no ballast.
I use the terms ballast and transformer interchangeably .... not technically correct I suppose. Aqua UV uses a transformer, how that reacts to on/off cycles was my point LOL.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the terms ballast and transformer interchangeably .... not technically correct I suppose. Aqua UV uses a transformer, how that reacts to on/off cycles was my point LOL.
Yeah, figured that’s what you meant. Wasn’t trying to be a know it all.
could see a ballast going bad from on/off. For a transformer much less likely ime

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the wavelength change? I'd assume it was something changing or being depleted from the filament. I'm not trying to debate anything just trying to understand. I've been told to change UV bulbs out every year, but I've never looked into the science of why. Like you, I doubt the on/off cycle would reduce bulb life by much, but I don't know for sure.
Not exactly sure. Would guess it has something to do with temperature the filament reaches.,,
I know it’s not a gimmick, since I can see the difference in water when I change

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, figured that’s what you meant. Wasn’t trying to be a know it all.
could see a ballast going bad from on/off. For a transformer much less likely ime
Yeah, that's probably true. I used a pondmaster UV for a while and the ballast would blow if you looked at it wrong.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's probably true. I used a pondmaster UV for a while and the ballast would blow if you looked at it wrong.
Would guess they incorrectly sized the transformer, or had a bad run on em. As far as I know there’s no uv sterilizer that’s made it into aquarium market that uses a ballast.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno .... gave up on it. they call it a ballast but you're right its actually a transfomer.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno .... gave up on it. they call it a ballast but you're right its actually a transfomer.
Not to hijack the thread but often wondered why uv lights are not fluorescent, or are they. The reason I wonder is because with any fluorescent light the hi voltage (ballast) excite the gas, which make the light and also lotsa uv light in the process. The ballast makes hi voltage to activate the gasses while also reducing voltage since the gasses want more as they get active.
A transformer either reduces or increases voltage and that’s it. Maybe a non fluorescent bulb is more stable, in terms or wavelength? Idk but wonder, if anyone knows

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx.
FWIW -

AquaUV kinda dodged the question but said "we designed the unit to run 24/7 and that is our recommendation".

I don't really see any issues running it 12/hrs per day and your probably get 2x the life from the bulb....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back