UV Sterilizer for a bacterial bloom?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I overdosed NOPOX. Can I run a UV sterilizer to fix the bacterial bloom? I’m leaving for vacation Wednesday. Is it a permanent solution? Should I and more bacteria to my tank? Advice is appreciated/experiences. Fish are doing better and in the lobster tank. If not the fish and starfish are staying in the lobster tank and the lobster is going into an isolation box.
39A26526-6DB6-4146-9DB2-CB3CEA49AC88.jpeg

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't necessary, but they definitely help and will be longer-term for other conditions depending on how flow is tuned and the size you get. I had a bacterial bloom worse than yours that went on for days. I purchased an underrated UV (all that was available short term) and installed it ASAP and the bloom was gone inside of two days.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pretty similar bloom going in my tank right now (90gal system) only 2 months cycled. Was debating getting a UV to clear up the bloom but also don't want to kill my good bacteria. Is it better just to wait it out? All parameters are good albeit pH is a little low 8.0 vs usual 8.3, assuming due to the bloom consuming O2.

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pretty similar bloom going in my tank right now (90gal system) only 2 months cycled. Was debating getting a UV to clear up the bloom but also don't want to kill my good bacteria. Is it better just to wait it out? All parameters are good albeit pH is a little low 8.0 vs usual 8.3, assuming due to the bloom consuming O2.
Did the bloom solve itself? I have the exact same problem with 2 month cycled tank.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the bloom solve itself? I have the exact same problem with 2 month cycled tank.
I had an awful bloom start 6 days ago, i ended up getting a UV this morning after suddenly ammonia showed up (i guess the bloom started out competing the nitrifying bacteria) and 12 hours later its way better.

Got a mean green machine meant for up to 100 gallons on my 75display, 90gal total vollume.

I feel like I could have gone with the smallest at the rate its clearing up.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did! I just ran activated carbon for about 2.5 weeks and now im crystal clear! Now onto battling GHA!!

ReeferHolland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did! I just ran activated carbon for about 2.5 weeks and now im crystal clear! Now onto battling GHA!!
My tank just cleared up out of nowhere in 2 days! Nothing needed, my bloom was extremely heavy and I couldn't see anything further than 10cm into the tank. Its now crystal clear too

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back