uv sterilizer for controlling parasites in a slip up

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a uv sterilizer of recommended/slightly larger than recommended size be a viable option if a parasite were to enter a tank? it is not a issue currently but i am transporting all of my fish to a new home in the same vehicle (5 gallon buckets) and all but one of my tanks are fully quarantined. since the parasites can be spread airborn im thinking it may be a possibility to contaminate my other fish. so if my fish were to show white spot or something like it would a valid response be to add a uv or would i be forced to re qt everyone (the goal isnt sterilization just healthy fish)

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have read countless stories from members on this forum who have used the quarantine method to keep Ick out of their tank. After Ick was eventually introduced, they added a Uv that was properly sized (or better yet oversized in my opinion) they have reported keeping Ick from infecting their fish. Yes, it’s probably still in the tank but kept at low amounts.

Many claim that overtime the fish become immune with spots appearing occasionally and then going away. Personally, I am pro UV and believe in the science.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would a uv sterilizer of recommended/slightly larger than recommended size be a viable option if a parasite were to enter a tank? it is not a issue currently but i am transporting all of my fish to a new home in the same vehicle (5 gallon buckets) and all but one of my tanks are fully quarantined. since the parasites can be spread airborn im thinking it may be a possibility to contaminate my other fish. so if my fish were to show white spot or something like it would a valid response be to add a uv or would i be forced to re qt everyone (the goal isnt sterilization just healthy fish)
I do not think this is a good or practical idea - unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. UV will not kill all parasites - and probably the best idea would be to QT all of the fish once you get to your final destination (i.e. its a little unclear how you have 1 bucket of un QT'd stuff - so just trying to assume you're putting everything in one tank)

EDIT - After re-reading - If I were doing what I think you're doing - I would QT all the fish again - and then if you want to add a UV - all good. Somehow initially I got the feeling you were talking about a UV during transport - which would not make sense (to me)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run an oversize unit but do also understand a UV unit is not a remover of algae and parasites which are preexisting but will address what is free floating and passes thru the water channel/bulb. Many get these units and ask why the parasites are still there. That is the reason why

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the parasite - larger protozoans probably not and multi-celled parasites like flukes for sure not. It might help with small protozoans like velvet or brooklynella and bacteria.
Better would be proper biosecurity, sealing off the water.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back