UV Sterilizer Installation - Red Sea E170

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering installing a UV Sterilizer on my Red Sea E170. It's 37 gallon DT, with 8 gallon rear sump. I searched forUV sterilizers installed with my tank, but didn't find any examples. The return pump included with my tank is approximately 570 gph. I watched some BRStv videos on UV sterilizers and found it's recommended to install them AFTER mechanical filtration. With my AIO tank mechanical filtration is in the return chamber. Would I be able to use my current return pump and plumb the UV sterilizer in series from the return pump to the outlet nozzle? I know tuning the UV for the right flow is important, so couldn't I upsize my sterilizer to something like the 15W Classic UV Sterilizer by Aqua Ultraviolet? Any feedback is appreciated.

UV Sterilizer Red Sea E170.PNG

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky installing a UV sterilizer in the AIO sump on the E-170, as there's not a lot of real estate to work with. The short answer is yes - you can use the existing return pump to run it through a UV sterilizer (but it's not necessarily going to be an easy configuration). This is probably the UV sterilizer I'd recommend for your setup (since the 25-watt is overkill).

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tricky installing a UV sterilizer in the AIO sump on the E-170, as there's not a lot of real estate to work with. The short answer is yes - you can use the existing return pump to run it through a UV sterilizer (but it's not necessarily going to be an easy configuration). This is probably the UV sterilizer I'd recommend for your setup (since the 25-watt is overkill).

I appreciate the feedback. This looks like a good option. Plumbing will be tricky, but it's possible. Thanks

meash20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the green killing machine 24wt. in the same compartment as the return pump, it's tight but it fits just fine with hte water return out the top.. Thinking about this as I type I could probably modify it more to make it fit more seamlessly but I haven't done much to it .. it makes a huge difference in the water clarity in my case.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The 15w is perfect for this tank. I run a 40w on my 40gal. I'd get a 200gph pump and pull it from the same chamber as I had it hanging off of. I have this UV on my mixing station and it's a little loud. You can heat up a 1" hose to fit around the exit nozzle to submerge the return. You can also just get the inline version. I paid $100 for the HOB version.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back