UV Sterilizer - Pentair or Aqua? Pros & Cons Requested.

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a new UV Sterilizer for a 190g mixed reef tank. I found a lot of rust in my current Coralife Turbo Twist UV during a bulb replacement and read that they have a tendency to do this so never again.

As such, I would like to get some direct opinions on what to go with. Money matters, but quality and long term reliability is far more important to me right now. I am debating between the following two models by Aqua and Pentair. I would like some opinions on these models. Detailed pros and cons are greatly appreciated. I am also open to the suggestion of other models/brands entirely so don't hesitate, but please explain why you like it.

Pentair Smart UV Sterilizer 40 Watt

Aqua Ultraviolet 40 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer

Thank you so much in advance! Love this community.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big AquaUv Fan. Emperor used to be great but since they were purchased by Pentair their customer support declined a lot. The Aqua UV is also smaller in diameter and there are available mounting clips. The only things I would consider is stepping up to the 57-watt as this takes up far less space but is more powerful. I would also consider a lifegard unit. I have one of these on my personal tank and for the price, they are a great value. The build feels just as good as Emperor or Aqua UV but the price is a lot less.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the Aqua 57 watt from Bulk Reef Supply. It arrived today and I am almost 100% sure it was used, returned/restocked, and then resold to me. There are obvious gashes in some of the plastic nuts as if someone used pliers on it. There are shabby plumber's tape jobs on the fittings and other male ends of the UV canister. There is an extra set of holes in the box it came in for the large metal staples that are used to seal it suggesting that the original staples were removed and a new set was used to reseal. Too obvious.

Going to be speaking with BRS tomorrow. Very unhappy that they tried to grift me like this.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a new UV Sterilizer for a 190g mixed reef tank. I found a lot of rust in my current Coralife Turbo Twist UV during a bulb replacement and read that they have a tendency to do this so never again.

As such, I would like to get some direct opinions on what to go with. Money matters, but quality and long term reliability is far more important to me right now. I am debating between the following two models by Aqua and Pentair. I would like some opinions on these models. Detailed pros and cons are greatly appreciated. I am also open to the suggestion of other models/brands entirely so don't hesitate, but please explain why you like it.

Pentair Smart UV Sterilizer 40 Watt

Aqua Ultraviolet 40 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer

Thank you so much in advance! Love this community.
Been very happy with my AquaUV. I purchased it due to an algae bloom and only ran it for a few days (twice over the years) as a HOB with a IM mighty jet. Cleared issues up in 24 hours. I have plumbed it into my new fancy setup and I trust the seals enough to keep it running (but I’ll leave the light off). Bulb replacement is easy. The $15 for a new gasket was BS.

The ozone smell is brutal (which is a good thing).

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be all Pentair but then ran into an issue where it starting leaking due to the UV degrading the fittings. I researched and found it to be a common problem after a few years of use. I now use only Aqua.

OP
OP
X

Xavier434

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be all Pentair but then ran into an issue where it starting leaking due to the UV degrading the fittings. I researched and found it to be a common problem after a few years of use. I now use only Aqua.

Really good to know. Looks like I am making the right choice then. What truly is a shame is that there doesn't seem to be many quality choices out there. It's no wonder these things are so ridiculously expensive.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back