UV Sterilizer, Plumbing, Triton... Oh My!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so; you may have misunderstood them if that’s your takeaway. At the risk of repeating myself from a different, recent thread; there are two things to consider with an UV sterilizer. The first is flow rate through the unit, the second is the total volume moved through the unit in a given period. In order to get true sterilization (and assuming a good quality UVC bulb) you need to limit the flow rate to 8-10 gallons per minute per UV watt. That will allow you to address both parasites and algae. So if a 57 watt unit, no more than 570 gallons per hour. But, you also need to make sure that a sufficient volume moves through the unit. If, for example, you have a system of 150 gallons, the 570 gallons per hour will mean the system volume moves through the unit 3 times per hour which is good. A 25 watt UV would mean only about 1.5 times which is probably OK, but perhaps a bit low.

Since the flow rates required for clarification (algae) are much higher, for a given UV size, the system volume moves through the unit more frequently and clarification may occur faster. Clarification will occur at the slower sterilization flow rates, it just may take a bit longer to achieve the desired results.

Other than observable impact on water clarity, the effectiveness of an UV on parasites in a closed system is unproven. Whether you choose to run one is ultimately up to you. Since the negative impact is minimal, I do run a large one in my system because it makes sense to me that it would help to reduce parasite pressure.

Thanks! Super helpful explanation.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so; you may have misunderstood them if that’s your takeaway. At the risk of repeating myself from a different, recent thread; there are two things to consider with an UV sterilizer. The first is flow rate through the unit, the second is the total volume moved through the unit in a given period. In order to get true sterilization (and assuming a good quality UVC bulb) you need to limit the flow rate to 8-10 gallons per minute per UV watt. That will allow you to address both parasites and algae. So if a 57 watt unit, no more than 570 gallons per hour. But, you also need to make sure that a sufficient volume moves through the unit. If, for example, you have a system of 150 gallons, the 570 gallons per hour will mean the system volume moves through the unit 3 times per hour which is good. A 25 watt UV would mean only about 1.5 times which is probably OK, but perhaps a bit low.

Since the flow rates required for clarification (algae) are much higher, for a given UV size, the system volume moves through the unit more frequently and clarification may occur faster. Clarification will occur at the slower sterilization flow rates, it just may take a bit longer to achieve the desired results.

Other than observable impact on water clarity, the effectiveness of an UV on parasites in a closed system is unproven. Whether you choose to run one is ultimately up to you. Since the negative impact is minimal, I do run a large one in my system because it makes sense to me that it would help to reduce parasite pressure.

Also, check out the video at 52:13. This is what I referencing.

Thanks again for your help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, they say NOT to have an UV on the drain ….. which is exactly what I do ….. clear we don't see eye-to-eye.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back