UV sterilizer vs bubble algae

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tippfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tippfish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
125
Reaction score
6
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm battling bubble algae and periodically do mechanical removal.

Of course I pop some of the algae in the process. Is a UV sterilizer an effective tool in preventing the continued spread?

I have also been removing rocks and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide also.

If UV would work, any recommendations on an unit for a 46gal?

My emerald crabs seem to be somewhat effective in slowing new growth, but do not appear to make dent in existing bubbles.

As my tank matures, will I out grow this? 9 months old now.

If this is the wrong forum let me know.
 
UV will sterilize bubble algae spores depending on strength of the wattage of the uv bulb and contact time inside of the uv chamber which depends on flow rate and size. When one bubble algae is popped not all the spores will go through the sterilizer which means it will still spread unless you have an extremely high watt bulb and very high flow rate. Your best bet is to eradicate it with crabs and so on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new