UV Sterilizer

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaultraviolet with a DC pump gets my vote. Then you can vary flow for either clarifying or sterilizing

msjboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canada ehh? I think jlaquatics.com has lifegard.... and they are on sale. I use UV on a biocube and I swear, while the water is clean, I see no pods in sight. I heard this is common so beware.

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the market for a UV sterilizer. I am looking at the AquaUV Classic Series UV Sterilizer 25 watt to accomodate a 125 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump/refugium. My target is to mainly run the sterilizer for the intended purpose of killing algae blooms. I am a little bit troubled as to which option I am supposed to choose from. The sizing options for this UV sterilizer as 3/4", 1", 1 1/2", and 2" (I am assuming this is the diameter however it doesn't actually say).
I am having an issue understanding which option I am supposed to choose. Their online sizing chart is complicated. I don't understand how miliwatts/cm2 correlates to GPH/flow rate. Can someone please explain how to figure this out?
Also, if I have a 125g tank, and 40 gallon sump, will a 25w UV Sterilizer (website says it can handle up to 150g) be too small? Or should I opt for the next size up?
I had a bacterial bloom (really bad) in my Nano tank and bought this inexpensive 5 watt UV sterilizer and in 24 hours everything is crystal clear

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back