UV Sterilizers, which unit to choose and why?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’m between the Lifegard Aquatics Pro-MAX 90 watt and the Pentair Aquatics 80 watt. Obviously the price of the Lifeguard is more desirable, and the dimensions are better as well. Overall it seems comparable with the Pentair. However, I can’t find a lot of reviews.
Sorry can't help with personal experience for either of those. I own the older vertical Lifegard and the newer Aqua UV units. Thankfully they have been on the shelf for a while.

I have read here several times that people have bought both, but the context was less about the hardware and only about dinos.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.2 years with the lifegard pro max 90w. No complaints and dinos are gone since day 5 of installation. Clearer water too but i suspect thats because it kills all green phyto. Its going to be part of my system from now on. For dinos or phyto blooms its indispensable.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.2 years with the lifegard pro max 90w. No complaints and dinos are gone since day 5 of installation. Clearer water too but i suspect thats because it kills all green phyto. Its going to be part of my system from now on. For dinos or phyto blooms its indispensable.
What size system do you have. I’m looking for a UV because of Dinos as well.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, one more question. What size pump did you use with it?
No worries, its a panworld ps-200. Its about 1750 gph iirc. But its split between my skimmer and tank flow. Im guessing its pumping at least 1000gph through the uv.

dlai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread.. was about to order a 25w Pentair but will be ordering a 55w Pro-Max now instead.

Plan is to install this in-stand on a 100g tank for the purposes of controlling Protozoa. Next step is to figure out how I'm going to handle the plumbing.. soo many ways to do this haha

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mounted vertically with a small 320 gph pump powering it. Works nicely.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this site reputable? I found this for pretty cheap, about $100-$200 cheaper than all other sites, and I'm wondering why. Thanks!
Also why are some of the 90watt by Lifegard Aquatics 1 unit, and some look like 2 side by side units?

On their website and most other places I see single unit. I'd think 1 unit would be cheaper than 2? but 2 seem cheaper generally? https://lifegardaquatics.com/produc...idal-uv-90-watts?_pos=14&_sid=26d780bea&_ss=r

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also why are some of the 90watt by Lifegard Aquatics 1 unit, and some look like 2 side by side units?

On their website and most other places I see single unit. I'd think 1 unit would be cheaper than 2? but 2 seem cheaper generally? https://lifegardaquatics.com/produc...idal-uv-90-watts?_pos=14&_sid=26d780bea&_ss=r
Folks will pay extra to get the "better/smaller" footprint is the best logic I can offer. Also, easier to plumb perhaps. One less canister to open and for your annual bulb change.

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks will pay extra to get the "better/smaller" footprint is the best logic I can offer. Also, easier to plumb perhaps. One less canister to open and for your annual bulb change.
Thanks for the opinion :)

so I actually found a 120watt Lifegard Pro Max 3”, brand new, on EBay for $540 with tax and shipping. I went for it lol. Let’s hope it’s actually brand new and not a scam or something, but that seems like insane deal lol. Probably $900-$1000 new. Wish me luck boys!

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the opinion :)

so I actually found a 120watt Lifegard Pro Max 3”, brand new, on EBay for $540 with tax and shipping. I went for it lol. Let’s hope it’s actually brand new and not a scam or something, but that seems like insane deal lol. Probably $900-$1000 new. Wish me luck boys!
How large is your system? Any issues with heat?

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’ll join the necrobump train!

I went with an icecap. They’re significantly cheaper, do the same job, and are made of PVC unlike the cheap China brand stuff that disintegrates over time.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll join the necrobump train!

I went with an icecap. They’re significantly cheaper, do the same job, and are made of PVC unlike the cheap China brand stuff that disintegrates over time.
I'd be curious to know how you like the Icecap sterilizers? I haven't owned anything Icecap in a loooong time but have looked at these out of curiosity but never pulled the trigger.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'd be curious to know how you like the Icecap sterilizers? I haven't owned anything Icecap in a loooong time but have looked at these out of curiosity but never pulled the trigger.
I'm very happy with it. IMO UV sterilizers are hard for companies to get wrong, because their function and design is pretty basic, and companies often over engineer them to stand out from the competition. That said it's far from basic, for example it'll alarm if the bulb is burnt out. I was originally looking at a jebao, but theirs isn't made from PVC and therefore they disintegrate over time from the UV light.

tlips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very happy with it. IMO UV sterilizers are hard for companies to get wrong, because their function and design is pretty basic, and companies often over engineer them to stand out from the competition. That said it's far from basic, for example it'll alarm if the bulb is burnt out. I was originally looking at a jebao, but theirs isn't made from PVC and therefore they disintegrate over time from the UV light.
Any issues with the iceacap uv? IM looking at either the lifegard pro max or the icecap uv.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back