UV to cover BOTH parasites and algae?

AV corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with UV sterilizers. I am setting up a new tank and have been researching adding one to the new system for any added benefits. It's confusing stuff to me. For those with the knowledge, is it possible, through oversizing or otherwise, to install one UV sterilizer to effectively control BOTH parasites and help with nuisance algae? Or is that simply impossible?
Yes the installation of a UV with help reduce! the amount of parasites coming into the tank and algea but does not CURE if already present in the tank. Also ,its recommended to get a UV just a bit larger than what is advised. If you have a 100 gallon system get a 25watt UV.

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run it at the slower flow rate 24/7 and that will do it all for you, that’s what I did/do anyway without any issues.
No thats not how it works. If you run at the lower rate it will not have the same effect on the algae's.
Do realize UV is great for algae blooms and Parasite control but rarely if ever addresses what is there already and will address what passes through the unit and suspended.
It is not for dealing with what is currently in your tank, its about stopping what is currently in your tank from reproducing thus breaking the cycle. It has ZERO effect on reducing what is currently in your water column, it will only effect what will be in the water in the future.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just run the slower flow rate through it - Unless you are battling a specific algae (Or dinoflagellettes) that is known to duplicate extremely quickly in the water column, quicker than the turnover you have through it for parasitic control - then most algae will be kept at bay on the slower flow rate anyway.
I like your solution better. Less flow variability.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the spores reproduce quickly and the turnover is not enough to get them all if I recall. There's a a bunch of threads on this topic on R2R.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I asking for help somehow?
I can calculate the flow rate in my sump just fine, what does that have to do with anything?
The fact is that it will basically be impossible to get an accurate idea of µWs/cm² with a uv bulb without a housing as there are to many variables with it just sitting inside the sump.
Also, it’s an unsafe and frankly stupid way to implement such a thing.
If this was something that was a good idea you would see it being used in aquaculture, zoos etc, but you don’t.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Ok Boss

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. I've been reading the other posts on R2R that I can find, but of course, there is no consensus or clear answer...

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Villious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thats not how it works. If you run at the lower rate it will not have the same effect on the algae's.

It is not for dealing with what is currently in your tank, its about stopping what is currently in your tank from reproducing thus breaking the cycle. It has ZERO effect on reducing what is currently in your water column, it will only effect what will be in the water in the future.
You Sir, win the day! Correct information and right on target!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UV sterilizers are sold already contained in a housing. No light escapes. Not sure shy anyone would have an exposed UV bulb. That's not even remotely logical.
I have one that I use in HOB filters on occasion as needed. The filter keeps all the light from escaping. Mostly just use in those tanks for bacteria blooms. People need to be careful when using those bulbs not in a housing.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back