UV Utilization Poll

  • Thread starter Thread starter niccumec
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Who uses UV as prescribed


  • Total voters
    10

niccumec

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2023
Messages
163
Reaction score
70
Location
Austin, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how many reefers use UV’s based on manufacturer’s suggested treatment rates. I am plumbing a new system. Designing to accommodate the higher flow rate “reef” bacterial mode is quite a lot of rate to be circulating. For the AquaUV 40-watt up to ~1,000 gph for parasite mode (90,000 µw/cm2) and ~2,000 gph for bacterial (45,000 µw/cm2). No problem plumbing for the lower rate parasite application, but a PITA for the higher flow rates, especially if circulating through he DT and not just cycling the sump…

This makes me wonder how many reefers really use UV for anything other than lower rate parasite mode. Also, most posts I see, severely restrict the connections to these UVs with 3/4” or 1”, which would make it nearly inpossible to circulate those higher rates without a huge pump.

How do you run your UV???

IMG_0798.jpeg
 
I want one, low on the order of needed equipment for my 82.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new