UV ...yes thank you

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My UV sterilizer started to leak a couple of weeks ago, so I bypassed it until I could get around to rebuilding it. Yesterday I finally got around to the rebuild and started it back up....WOW...I didn't even realize how dingy looking the tank had gotten in the last couple of weeks, it has a sparkle today that looks like a Caribbean lagoon. The term, "you don't know what ya got till it's gone" comes to my mind. Glad to have it back online,... I am all for it ....UV for me.

My unit is a 40 watt...4' long tube....I run mine 24/7 for the last 3 years. I have changed the bulb out twice and the glass tube the light goes into once. Just replaced the tube with 3" PVC (I hope it holds up to the uv rays)

Tank 125 gal with 40 gal sump.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarification is the thing that UV does best. I would say that if your tank really did decline without the UV, as opposed to a bit of hyperbole, I'd be looking at root cause. I can turn mine off for weeks and not notice.

OP
OP
Mark3

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clarification is the thing that UV does best. I would say that if your tank really did decline without the UV, as opposed to a bit of hyperbole, I'd be looking at root cause. I can turn mine off for weeks and not notice.
OK,...maybe a bit of exaggeration on my part, but that is what I said, ...I didn't notice a difference, until it was back. It just gives the tank a bright new shine, like a fresh water change does. The UV brightens up the water like carbon on steroids?

and maybe partly because I just rebuilt the thing...a DIY always give a bit of pride...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can turn mine off for weeks and not notice.

Is quoting yourself the online version of talking to yourself ..... anyhow, certainly opens one up to the question, if not observable, why run it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back