UV

Daniella19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m looking to add a Uv sterilizer for ich management.
Our fish sometimes have few spots here and there. We butt garlic and ginger to the food.
Which one would be the best for a reefer 350? I did some research but it always says something different.
Thanks

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Daniella19, unfortunately most hobby grade UV units aren't very good at pest control, such as ich or velvet. With that said, there is many that say that it can be managed with UV, but not much scientifically proven information is available on the subject unless it's very large UV units not available to the hobbyist and costing thousands of dollars.

The other thing is the use of garlic and ginger haven't been proven to do anything to boost fishes immune systems scientifically. There is some speculation that these may cause internal organ damage over time.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the biggest and most powerful you can fit in with your own situation as otherwise if it’s not powerful enough it won’t be effecfive.

They tend to be quite cumbersome though

Also look out for the UV-C versions which are more powerful, Ive got the DD 20w and 80w in both my systems and are a reasonable size as well and easy to maintain

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back