Vacation set up

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do other people put wifi security cameras on their tanks so they can keep an eye on things while they are away? Trying to convince my wife I’m not nuts.

will be gone for a month so trying to prep everything for being gone. Planning to clean all equipment/sump, water changes, have the ATO set up, auto empty of skimmer cup through dosing pump, calcium, alkalinity and iodide dosing containers full, auto feeder set up. Anything else I’m not thinking of?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an extra barrel of RO water along with someone who can stop by & have a look see, perhaps weekly.
Leave a # where you can be reached. Get everything set up & running @ least a week before you leave so you can watch it work. Many have cameras as a means to watch things.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have written out a detailed instruction list and maintenance routine for all of my tanks. I label all plugs, valves, pumps and dosing containers clearly. I have my tank left with enough information where if I am stuck for an extra week then I can walk anyone through any tasks, test or replacement of equipment fairly easily. I am a crazy person though.

OP
OP
Funwithreefer

Funwithreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I’m relatively new where I live so don’t have any people to fish sit for me or even to do any major tasks. Bit I do have someone that can go check the auto feeders, ato skimmer etc. but I’ll have to go a month without a water change

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least have someone test the basic parameters half way through. It would suck to have a growth spurt during that time and come back to 5° dKH, like I did after Christmas. And I was only gone 10 days.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a cam is a great idea - it'll give you peace of mind as well as help you see if something is going wrong. And, if you have someone trying to fix an issue while you are away, you can watch and talk them through the issue. Smart plan on your part.

As far as doing all the maintenance, etc., make sure that all equipment cleaning etc., takes place at least one week before you leave. That way, if there's any issue with the equipment after you put it back in the tank, you'll have time to see, rather than having something fail the day after you've left.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back