Vacation spots

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to go somewhere the end of the month for a week, away from the midwest climate. Any particular nice and warm areas you'd all recommend in the south or southwest as your top 1 or 2 destinations? My all time favorite trip was to Kauai; I'd like to go back. Weather is great and so much to do, but it seems a bit complex to get to HI right now without risking your vacation money.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been just once before! Santa Rosa area. Beaches are nice.

I've looked into La Jolla, Scottsdale, Panhandle of FL, surrounding areas of Clearwater, Captiva and Sanibel. Hard to choose. And im not too familiar with FL and what else it has to offer.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd head to any Bahamian island with cheap deals lately out of Ft.Lauderdale or Miami if you can swing it. Otherwise, fly into Miami, rent the car, and drive to the Keys, no hurricane season, great weather, and you are there to Largo within 2 hrs and the next 2 or 3 hours are an adventure, so many nice spots along the way, hotels reasonably priced, great restaurants, plus strap on some fins and dive or snorkel the reefs.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it’s slower here in Tahoe towards the end of this month. In a week you could beach up in Tahoe, hit the beach in San Fran, hit up Reno for some gambling, and drop down into the historic areas of Nevada just down the hill from Tahoe. You might even be able to get some turns in on the mountain.

I mention it because you’re from the midwest. Central California has so much to offer. It’s not really that cold here for Midwest folk. Really depends on how active you want to be. I always promote warm beaches and sun and just getting cocktailed up.

I will also shamelessly always promote Lake Tahoe. It’s a great location. 10 days in this area could give you some Yosemite time plus the other stuff I mentioned.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great options. I didn't think to add Tahoe or Yosemite to the list. Regarding Florida, I will take a look at hotels in key west. I like that idea to fly into Miami. Maybe even spend a day there before heading into the keys. Wife and I liked all the outdoorsy things hawaii has to offer. I imagine all of the above have enough to do to get you through a weeks time.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Arizona in April, southern Utah should be warm enough by the end of April.

That is if you like dry and rocky and plants that poke you. Grand Canyon and all the parks in southern Utah, not sure if they are fully open or closed now though. Lots of interesting wild west and Native American ruins through out Arizona.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Arizona in April, southern Utah should be warm enough by the end of April.

That is if you like dry and rocky and plants that poke you. Grand Canyon and all the parks in southern Utah, not sure if they are fully open or closed now though. Lots of interesting wild west and Native American ruins through out Arizona.
I like Zona too, such a varied landscape and temp range North to South.
In saying that we also like your neck of the woods. Been down to Rutland area once, there was a Christmas parade, with lots people on horses, costumed up. Can't remember the town for the life of me though....ah! Woodstock!....not sure if its in Rutland County or not though. Beautiful town.
We usually stay up in Montgomery area, around Jay Peak, a b&b called Phineas Swann. Then stay in Montreal for a few nights as well. If the border ever opens again in our lifetime, maybe I'll get to do it again lol.
Of course OP is looking for a bit of warmth, so Vermont or up here likely not on the list right now.
Sorry to sidetrack....

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Zona too, such a varied landscape and temp range North to South.
In saying that we also like your neck of the woods. Been down to Rutland area once, there was a Christmas parade, with lots people on horses, costumed up. Can't remember the town for the life of me though....ah! Woodstock!....not sure if its in Rutland County or not though. Beautiful town.
We usually stay up in Montgomery area, around Jay Peak, a b&b called Phineas Swann. Then stay in Montreal for a few nights as well. If the border ever opens again in our lifetime, maybe I'll get to do it again lol.
Of course OP is looking for a bit of warmth, so Vermont or up here likely not on the list right now.
Sorry to sidetrack....
Here you go! Rutland parade...big doings in these parts...you should come for our town wide yard sales in August...when it is finally warm;).

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some friends convincing us to still go to Hawaii. I've only been to kauai. Maybe Maui?? I would love to see molokini.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go to the keys, you can also fly into Ft. Myers. Then you can book passage on The Key West Express. It is about a 3.5 hr boat ride straight to Key West. You can walk from the dock to the bars, B&B's, and enjoy all that Key West has to offer. You can do the reverse a few days later. I'd rather take a boat to the Keys than drive from Miami.Key West Express

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some friends convincing us to still go to Hawaii. I've only been to kauai. Maybe Maui?? I would love to see molokini.
I almost booked the Big Island there a few years back. Chose a trip to Italy for wife instead lol....Still want to go. And will one day. Apparently the tide pools at the park on the South East side of island near Hilo are absolutely incredible. As a reefer you'd probably be in heaven with all the species at your fingertips. A few days there then over to beachy area Kona? That was my original plan. Live it out for me lol...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back