Vacation thoughts

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, heading on vacation for a total of 6 feeding days. I have somebody coming to dog sit and fish sit (lol!). Do you think it would be okay to put each day's food in small rubbermaid containers and leave in the fridge labeled? I feed twice a day. Each day one feeding is Fish Frenzy and the other feeding alternates between a bunch of other different frozen foods.

I guess the real the question I am asking is - will my frozen foods be okay for 6 days in the fridge instead of the freezer? I am trying to make it easier for my house sitter.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Robb1414

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching into the freezer should require the same amount of effort as reaching into the fridge. If that is too difficult for your sitter I'd say just skip frozen food for 6 days. Your fish won't starve.

The difference would be if the food is in the fridge, it would be defrosted and not require the sitter to worry about having to add tank water.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to defrost fish frenzy. You can leave it portioned in the freezer and just have them drop it in. If you are worried about either the fish sitting making a mistake, or making the job too difficult for them I would just pass on feeding. More can go wrong trying to accommodate the sitter then a lack of feeding.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I take out some reef frenzy and thaw it with some tank water, it takes no more than 5 minutes to thaw. Not much time at all.

Six days in the refrigerator is pushing it. If this is the only option, in tank water covered.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put 1 container in the fridge. Put other containers in the freezer. Each day she takes one out out of freezer and puts it in the refrig for next day

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was an app for people with this issue :D Quick secure feedings from an aquarist when we are out of town. I face this same problem all the time. It makes me not want to travel lol.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days we used to hire staff to do these sort of things. We could go have fun playing polo and stuff. Now that we had to sell the Abby we no longer have staff.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up the feeding when I am home. I feed them thawed Brine shrimp day 1 LRS day 2 or 3 with only pellets in between days, that way I know I can feed pellets while I'm OOT & they wont starve. I don't have someone who can watch my tank while I'm gone but recently bought a small camera I can see the tank with. usually gone 5- 7 days 3-4 times per yr.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SOP is to either not feed (if I’m gone for a week or less), leave pellets (the slow sinking ones at PetPlace) and tell the cat sitter to feed sparingly Mon Wed and Fri, and/or dose a bottle of pods and mysis right before i leave.

The last is the best ime. I’ve had algae outbreaks/alk drops on return which i assume (perhaps incorrectly) is because cat sitters way overfed.

jkcoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i portion it out in one of those weekly pill containers, instruct person to give one bay a day

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I make up little baggies and place in freezer as portions. I have a person microwave for 15 seconds to soften then spoon feed it. I ask them to take the bag with them so it doesn’t sit in my garbage with juices getting ripe to come home to

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back