Vacation

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going on vacation in August and am wondering how to keep my tank cool while I’m out of town as I don’t wanna be running the A/C. I read about people putting fans on there tank to help keep it cool. Well this actually work?

I’m working with a 65g RedSea Reefer

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about fans but one thing a lot of people do when it’s too hot is hook up a chiller to their tank. Theyre pretty expensive and would probably cost more than running the AC but long term it might be a good investment if you’re worrying about your tank overheating

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m going on vacation in August and am wondering how to keep my tank cool while I’m out of town as I don’t wanna be running the A/C. I read about people putting fans on there tank to help keep it cool. Well this actually work?

I’m working with a 65g RedSea Reefer
I have a 55 running right now in a very hot area it has a fan on it now it's a big fan, it will drop the temp about 3 to 4 degreases, I control it with my Apex. This tank in the summer looses 4 to 5 gallons of water a day, so make sure you have plenty of ATO water on hand

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how much you have spent on your tank in total. What I am sure is the price your going pay in your ac bill small compared to what could happen if your tank has a chance of overheating. And do you have a ato. I just got one because I am traveling next month.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is a big fan? Do you have a photo? And how hot is hot?

My tank is in a closed off room from the house and I was thinking about keeping the window open so fresh air can get in as well as set up a 20gl ATO while I’m away.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is in a closed off room from the house and I was thinking about keeping the window open so fresh air can get in as well as set up a 20gl ATO while I’m away.
Here's the fan

20180620_091114.jpg

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry I missed how hot is hot it gets to 95 to 100 in there in the summer in August that tank runs at 85

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 85 isn’t that still really high?
No that's an average ocean temp in the South Pacific. they get to above 90 often. In the Home aquariums as long as you keep an eye on thing high temps can cause bacteria to happen faster and low oxygen but I have that covered well with turn over rates and a large skimmer

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would assume you are going to run your ac when you are away anyway for air circulation so keeping it a bit cool and adding a fan would work but you would have to test it as you would need to dial in the temperatures. you could always get chiller as stated above but they are expensive.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go on youtube the king of diy has a diy chiller using a ~$80 small fridge and a garden hose.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are taking a vacation, people with fish tanks don't take vacations. I spend all my vacation money on fish or gizmos for the tank. Just run your AC when you are gone, you would run it if you were home, right? If I were you I would be more worried about the person left to take care of the tank. Would he or she no what to do if a pump stop working, what if there is a power outage, what if the top off stop working, sorry I have to go. I have to check my tank.

pletlibo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are taking a vacation, people with fish tanks don't take vacations. I spend all my vacation money on fish or gizmos for the tank. Just run your AC when you are gone, you would run it if you were home, right? If I were you I would be more worried about the person left to take care of the tank. Would he or she no what to do if a pump stop working, what if there is a power outage, what if the top off stop working, sorry I have to go. I have to check my tank.

Yeah I have a write up of emergency tank procedures for when I’m gone. For my family or tank caretaker to consult. Always a good idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I leave mine on.- IT'S WORTH IT. Besides, after a nice getaway, to come home to a cool home. If it costs you $40+ in electricity and to keep your tank in check and not lose $100's, I have no second thoughts

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a chiller, not that expensive and worth the stress of hoping all is well whilst away.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back