Vacation

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going away for a 4-day vacation. How should I feed the fish/turn on the light + run the power skimmer?
You can use an auto-feeder. If you want to turn off some equipment during feeding you can either use timers or a controller. Of course the timers are cheaper.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is all about getting your fish eating whatever dry food you are going to put in the auto feeder. If they have already been all the better but there is also value in feeding them from the auto feeder so they can get used to that. For the light just get a timer and you can run the skimmer 24/7, it shouldn't overfill and if you think it might just run it a little more dry.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer- run 24/7
Light- buy a timer, unless you have been wanting to upgrade buy some leds a bit before you leave and get your corals and fish acclimated to it.
Food- Buy an auto feed, make sure the fish are used to it before you leave so nothing will go wrong.
Corals- You could buy a doser to feed the necessary chemicals etc...
Another option is to pay a family or friend to come over and take care of everything for you, reefing daily care isn't that hard just show them a few times before you leave and have them take care of it. If you have to even you can facetime them while they are doing the aquarium maintenance, and talk to them through it.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would always have friends or family help us. Every day there would be someone checking on your tank not only to feed/top-off but to just check on the tank in general. It gave us peace of mind when trying to relax on vacation.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would always have friends or family help us. Every day there would be someone checking on your tank not only to feed/top-off but to just check on the tank in general. It gave us peace of mind when trying to relax on vacation.
Same I was just too worried about something somehow malfunctioning, then losing thousand of dollars in fish and coral. I always go with the safe option.

jtp7004ft

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your other post about your skimmer, I would suggest turning it off until you return from your vacation, then trouble shoot when you get back

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a LFS that has an aquarium maintenance service? Mine does and I have used them for anything more than a few days. He also has a login to my Fusion account.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back