Vacuuming sand bed

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be vacuuming my sand bed?
I dont. I have sand sifting clean up crews for this, I thought I needed to as thats a must for freshwater or it gets nasty but my fish that dig and inverts that crawl around in the sand keep it clean!

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i used to have sand years ago all i did was take a turkey baster and blast the sand to turn it around every couple days, kept it nice and white.

however if you have left your sand untouched from day one, doing this can cause lots of detritus to be kicked around and may cause a spike in nitrate or phosphate.

OP
OP
thh9227

thh9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont. I have sand sifting clean up crews for this, I thought I needed to as thats a must for freshwater or it gets nasty but my fish that dig and inverts that crawl around in the sand keep it clean!
What do you have for your sand sifting CUC?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either do it regularly (every 4-6 weeks) or don’t do it.

If you decide to start doing it after your tank has been set up for a while, procede with caution, in small batches at a time or else you will risk an ammonia spike that can kill your fish.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend it. Also regularly blowing off the rockwork with a turkey baster. This keeps detritus at bay. CUC's are great, but they secrete detritus (poop) back into the sand and rock too.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for your sand sifting CUC?
I have an engineer goby who turns the sand but Im getting a sea cucumber. I have a tiger conch and a horseshoe crab. I have eels and triggers so I have to be careful what sand sifters I get

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stir my sandbed every other day when I scrape the glass. Also baste the rocks and corals. Turn the flow way up to keep it suspended and into the socks it goes. You would have to have an army of snails of all different kinds to make any sort of noticeable difference. And you'll always be buying them to replace them as they die or get murdered. I don't believe in letting all that detritus build up in a sand bed by just leaving it alone.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back