Valentini puffer food (snails)

Brennon D.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini puffer and feed him mysis cubes, shrimp, snow crab legs, among others but im looking for something that will self sustain itself in a 35 gallon tank. I want snails that breed readily with no effort that my puffer can eat. There are certain types that are bad like trochus snails. I will feed the snails too as needed but basically want snails for him to be able to hunt. I put blue leg hermits in there for him to hunt but hes not interested with them, hed rather try to hunt my big zebra turbo which he will never eat hes been trying for over a year the snail does not even care nor does it feel threatened which is amusing to watch but I want to put something in that he can actually eat because that is what he is wanting. He readily accepts whatever I offer him as well. But I have plans to make him start looking for more food rather than wait for me to feed him as much. Hes a good puffer too has not touched any of my GSP’s I also have a ton of it all over my rocks. My puffer’s name is Bloaty and he has a good personality best in the tank.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightning dove snails are supposed to breed readily, although mine don't seem to. I think I've seen one or two babies in the 6 or 7 months I've had them. Maybe you'd have better luck. They are small and (maybe unfortunately as food) very pretty snails. Usually quite cheap too.

OP
OP
B

Brennon D.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats those too but im trying to teach him to hunt snails he has been very interested with my zebra turbo. I want him to act more like he would in the wild and be less reliant on me. Im still going to give him stuff but would like him to hunt and not be waiting for food to come to him.
Mine liked clam on a half shell.

OP
OP
B

Brennon D.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightning dove snails are supposed to breed readily, although mine don't seem to. I think I've seen one or two babies in the 6 or 7 months I've had them. Maybe you'd have better luck. They are small and (maybe unfortunately as food) very pretty snails. Usually quite cheap too.
I have some nassarius snails too but he cant eat those the shells are too hard plus they clean my sandbed. So what ever snails I do get I want something algae reliant (not sand sifters) because my nassarius will compete for detritus plus I purposely throw mysis and spread it around the sandbed every now and then for them to eat but just enough to feed them all but not over do it. My nassarius have been laying eggs like crazy too everytime I hope for baby snails but no luck but from what Ive read its rare they try in the home aquarium.

OP
OP
B

Brennon D.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some nassarius snails too but he cant eat those the shells are too hard plus they clean my sandbed. So what ever snails I do get I want something algae reliant (not sand sifters) because my nassarius will compete for detritus plus I purposely throw mysis and spread it around the sandbed every now and then for them to eat but just enough to feed them all but not over do it. My nassarius have been laying eggs like crazy too everytime I hope for baby snails but no luck but from what Ive read its rare they try in the home aquarium.
I dont clean my sandbed as often because they keep it pretty clean. I vacuum it every now and again but when I do I clean it thoroughly.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightning doves are supposed to be algae eaters. Not detritivores.

OP
OP
B

Brennon D.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, any particular types of clam?
I no longer have him unfortunately. He was almost 5 years old & he quit accepting foods then I found out they only live 3-5 years so I guess he quit eating like a dog does when it is ready to die.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At my store, I fed them scallop and clam

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back