Valentini puffer is floating upside down....

Branvel3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone give me some advice I'm fairly new to saltwater aquariums we've had ours about about 5 to 6 months So obviously still very new and still very early as we are going through all the algae blooms and all that fun stuff lol. My Valentini puffer started acting weird a couple days ago and I noticed he was pinning himself under rocks and tonight when I moved the rock, I noticed he was floating upside down and stays that way unless he pins himself under a rock. My water is good I tested it again and everything seems fine I have moved him to a hospital tank to segregate him from all the other fish can someone give me advice? Oh FYI we were treating the tank meeting the tank with some medicine that the local saltwater fish store told us to put in there because we thought one of our other fish might have had fin rot but that's the only thing we did different..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could someone give me some advice I'm fairly new to saltwater aquariums we've had ours about about 5 to 6 months So obviously still very new and still very early as we are going through all the algae blooms and all that fun stuff lol. My Valentini puffer started acting weird a couple days ago and I noticed he was pinning himself under rocks and tonight when I moved the rock, I noticed he was floating upside down and stays that way unless he pins himself under a rock. My water is good I tested it again and everything seems fine I have moved him to a hospital tank to segregate him from all the other fish can someone give me advice? Oh FYI we were treating the tank meeting the tank with some medicine that the local saltwater fish store told us to put in there because we thought one of our other fish might have had fin rot but that's the only thing we did different..
Pictures and especially video under white lighting will be very helpful with assessment. Before any recommendations, want to determine if its a bladder issue which they get or if fish is moribund.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers also will get air trapped in them when they eat if they eat from the top of the water. If he is back to normal tomorrow most likely air from eating. If he hasn't returned back to normal I would agree that we have to start worrying about a swim bladder issue, either the badder itself or something swollen in the fish pushing on the swim bladder.

Also, what did you dose into the tank? Lastly pictures are always helpful! Good luck with your puffer, they are fantastic little fish. They are also very disease resistant so most likely one of the issues mentioned over disease.

OP
OP
Branvel3

Branvel3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers also will get air trapped in them when they eat if they eat from the top of the water. If he is back to normal tomorrow most likely air from eating. If he hasn't returned back to normal I would agree that we have to start worrying about a swim bladder issue, either the badder itself or something swollen in the fish pushing on the swim bladder.

Also, what did you dose into the tank? Lastly pictures are always helpful! Good luck with your puffer, they are fantastic little fish. They are also very disease resistant so most likely one of the issues mentioned over disease.
Unfortunately he passed away the next day by the time I got up I have tried several times to load pictures and video and it tells me that they are too large I appreciate it. The medicine was called melafix.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back