Valonia (Bubble Algae) and Fluconazole

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have been struggling with bubble algae again. I've tried emerald crabs; they tend to barely pick at it. I did vibrant over a year ago and the tank took about as long to recover.

I have consistently high nitrates and a relatively deep sandbed, but I don't really feed very often, so I'm not sure exactly where it's coming from.

I will admit that I have been slacking on my water changes, but I've been trying physical removal and while that's relatively easy, I can never get all of it.

Couple questions I can't remember the answers for:

1. How effective is fluconazole on bubble algae? I vaguely recall reading that it works, but takes either a longer treatment time or a heavier dose.
2. Would any kind of urchin be an aid? I'm certain they'd just pick up the large chunks and carry them.

I'm just feeling hesitant about dumping more chemicals in but I'm getting pretty sick of all the nuisance algae. My gracilaria has withered away despite periodically dosing Two Little fishies iron/manganese concentrate and having a fairly bright light.

At what point do you just take everything out and burn it to the ground and start over?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is your tank size?
What CUC do you use?
I find that my Foxface and sailfin nip at bubble algae, but still small pockets can remain under zoas.
I don’t really think Fluconizole was helpful.

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly is your tank size?
What CUC do you use?
I find that my Foxface and sailfin nip at bubble algae, but still small pockets can remain under zoas.
I don’t really think Fluconizole was helpful.
It's a 50g cube, so unfortunately a foxface will be out of the question. I have used emerald and mithrax crabs in the past, and unfortunately they are good until they aren't and pick at something I don't want them to. I currently use a mix of trochus, nassarius, turbo and astrea snails, along with some blue leg hermits. I have one emerald crab currently (and I am keeping a close eye on it, but I don't expect one crab to do much). I hesitate to add more because I have a lot of fleshy lps.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My tuxedo urchin does a good job of knocking it off the rocks for me but it remains in crevices and hard to reach spots. I’ve just learned to live with it. I pick at it every time I’m in my tank and I’m slowly seeing progress being made.

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin does a good job of knocking it off the rocks for me but it remains in crevices and hard to reach spots. I’ve just learned to live with it. I pick at it every time I’m in my tank and I’m slowly seeing progress being made.
Yeah, I definitely need to get better about taking some out manually. Usually what I do is knock a bunch off and then the nero 3 pumps suck it to the fish guard and then I fish it out with a net. But that routine is getting old, lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back