Valonia found! Early stages... what next?

Office_Reef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Location
Sydney
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - new reefer....

I noticed what I thought were a few eggs on three zoa frag plugs (all from the same LFS in Sydney). When I carefully removed a couple it is clearly Valonia. greenish tinge and clear bubble-like appearance. I have individually removed all of the bubbles (about 15-20 of them the size of a pin head) and put the frag plugs back in to keep the zoas alive.

What now? Is it too late and already through the tank? I had a very close look around and can't see anything.
Should I pre-emptively treat the tank with something, or just monitor closely looking for signs of a return.

Thanks in advance guys.
 
I would suggest you to put the frag in a small quarantine, observe it for more growth and watch your tank if you can see more valonia the coming weeks. It grows fast and will definitely show up soon if it is still in the tank.

As you were able to remove the valonia bubbles and it was isolated to this single frag, chances are you already fixed the problem :)

There are some rumours about getting more valonia due to the bubbles popping when they are destroyed. I didn’t find any proven evidence for this. So I would suggest as even if there is still valonia in your tank, to fight it of using natural predators like emerald crabs. They will not completely get rid of it, but definitely keep it in check :)
 
I got some valonia when I bought a nem that was attached to a rock several years ago. I see a couple of them every other month and just manually remove. At least for me, it hasn’t been a problem at all. I also have four urchins in a 47 gallon that keep the tank pretty clean of algae.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new