Variable Jawfish/El Diablo Jawfish/Opistognathus variabilis information?

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this species pop up from time to time, and I was curious if anyone had any information about them?

To my eyes there are two types of jawfish. The fat ones like the dusky jawfish and the skinny ones like the pearly jawfish. A 3 inch dusky is about twice as wide as a 3 inch pearly, and in my experience the dusky is a much bolder fish(it also gets about 6 inches).

I am wondering if the Variable Jawfish is basically just a smaller dusky as far as care and temperament go? They apparently reach about 4 inches, would at least like a confirmation on that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see this species pop up from time to time, and I was curious if anyone had any information about them?

To my eyes there are two types of jawfish. The fat ones like the dusky jawfish and the skinny ones like the pearly jawfish. A 3 inch dusky is about twice as wide as a 3 inch pearly, and in my experience the dusky is a much bolder fish(it also gets about 6 inches).

I am wondering if the Variable Jawfish is basically just a smaller dusky as far as care and temperament go? They apparently reach about 4 inches, would at least like a confirmation on that.

Sorry - I haven't kept this species myself, but here is a link to an extensive monograph of Indo jawfishes. Search "variabilis"

Description of the species is on p. 96, and lots of cool color pics at the end.

Jay

JMann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a beautiful Variable Jawfish for only about 2 weeks as sadly he found a tiny crack in the top and jumped out of the tank while I was out of town. He exemplified everything which is great about Jaws. They’re more the standard long/slender body type rather than the stockier Dusky types. He didn’t hover over his burrow like Caribbean/Florida Yellowheads. He was definitely full of character, of course. I had a tank setup for him with barely any rock work and deep sand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back