Variety is the spice of life: Do you always feed your fish and coral the same thing?

Do you always feed your fish and coral the same thing?

• I regularly change up the food for my fish and corals.

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • I occasionally change up the food for my fish and corals.

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • I rarely change up the food for my fish and corals.

Votes: 52 19.7%
  • I never change up the food for my fish and corals.

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Variety is the spice of life: Do you always feed your fish and coral the same thing?

Think about your favorite meal. Now think about eating your favorite meal every day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a month or longer. It may not have the same impact and may no longer be the meal that you are looking forward to. Additionally, that meal may not be supplying all the health benefits that a varied diet may provide. It is easy to get into the habit of feeding the same type of food to our reef tank, but this approach may not be the best option for our reef inhabitants. Do you always feed your fish and corals the same thing? Tell us about your experience and practices for the food you put into your aquarium. Also, feel free to share any feeding tips with the community!

PeaceRiver_Pellets (1).jpg

Photo by @Peace River

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, same stuff but it is mixed with a couple of different things daily to make sure they get a balanced diet. Fish don't eat for pleasure like we do...they eat to survive so I don't think they care too much about variety :).

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We make our own, use a large variety of different sea foods, so the fish are always getting something different. Plus pods and Phyto

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was normally just alternating frozen mysis and flake food but then I found an old unopened bar of cyclop-eeze in the freezer so that's in the mix now too. Fish go bananas for that stuff, wish it was still available.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i made my own fish food!
squid
shrimp
clam
oyster
scallop
nori
red algae (two little fishes)
brine shrimp eggs
broccoli
vitachem
selcon
reef moonshiner vitamin-x
tdo pellets

and some left over lrs nano reef frenzy

i feed a small cube a day

nursingcoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish's diet is boring, but seems to suffice. Flake foods all the time, but they seem to do well on that diet. My corals are primarily surviving via zooxanthellae. I currently don't have any "primarily carnivore" fish.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post is perfect timing I always feed Reef Keepers LifeLine, PE Mysys and Dr. Bassleers Pellet foods on Apex auto feeder.
Yesterday I went to the LFS ( Always buy my food from my LFS ) to restock my PE Mysis huge flat pack. (40 oz ) I believe.
Before Covid it was $35.00 per jumbo flat pack, it was $91.00 yesterday !!!!! I am never paying $91.00 for 40oz of fish food again, I'm going back to making my own food. That price is just not even comprehendible. Sorry LFS, I know its not your fault, but I am done with that avenue of food source for my fish. I can make 10 times that amount of a better more diverse for $91.00.
IMG_5885.JPG

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO Chroma Boost pellets 2x a day for the fish. The Micro Lord corals get LPS coral grow pellets once a week. Fish get an added frozen brine/mysis treat a 3x times a week ( my YWMG needs that because he’s pretty big on stranger danger). All the zoa’s, favia, and micro lords get reef roids with a drop of brightwell coral amino once a week. Been thinking about getting some oyster feast to add to the mix.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed TDO, ROE, and my own frozen food which mostly consists of salmon, mysis, and some other random seafood. And nori for the herbivores, of course.

I switch up which ones I feed somewhat randomly.

I was thinking recently about varying up what types of macro algae that I'm feeding to the tangs. Does anyone feed their tangs anything other than nori?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a ,variety of food from Hikari and LFS, and occasionnaly flakes.
I also vary the food for my herbivore, alternating between nori from the asian store with green, purple and red algae from Julian Spring. Now as I grow macro algae in another tank I give them some fresh macro every other week when I trim it.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This post is perfect timing I always feed Reef Keepers LifeLine, PE Mysys and Dr. Bassleers Pellet foods on Apex auto feeder.
Yesterday I went to the LFS ( Always buy my food from my LFS ) to restock my PE Mysis huge flat pack. (40 oz ) I believe.
Before Covid it was $35.00 per jumbo flat pack, it was $91.00 yesterday !!!!! I am never paying $91.00 for 40oz of fish food again, I'm going back to making my own food. That price is just not even comprehendible. Sorry LFS, I know its not your fault, but I am done with that avenue of food source for my fish. I can make 10 times that amount of a better more diverse for $91.00.
IMG_5885.JPG
It seams every thing is more expensive. I get it for $63.99 here.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't often switch things up, but I do feed 7+ different kinds of food throughout the day. Beta Brine 3x, mysis feast x 3, R.O.E. x 3, Arctipods x 3, selcon soaked PE Mysis x 1 big feeding, Nori x 1, Plank feeder (reef jerkey) x8, live rotifers x 1, live phyto x 1.

Some days I also do some Rods Food or angel food. Gonna get back into processing my own frozen again, as well. Variety and frequent feedings are good for the nutrition of the fishes.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feed a variety of foods, but I mix them into batches for a week or so.. So they get the same food every day, but its a wide mix of different foods.

For the reef tank, the mix is:
Reef multi-pack
Brine shrimp
Mysis
Seaweed delight
Emerald
Squid
Rotifers
Cyclops
Marine Cuisine
Coral cuisine
Mussel
Reef Plankton
Plankton

The FOWLR tank gets 6 or 7 cubes per day...
Brine
Mysis
Mussel
Squid
Emerald
Seaweed
Marine Cuisine

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other

I rarely change foods. Sole reason is that food is sold in such large quantiles that a small tank will cause the food to go stale before I ever run out. I have staples, and also mixed varieties that I feed or can offer. Frozen Enriched Brine Shrimp being the base of everything. I picked up something new a month ago and have fallen in love with it. The fish go craycray over this stuff. I have never had them eat out of my hand. With this stuff they were eating out of my hand within days.

1000004104-01.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back