VarioS 10 - High pitch whine - is this normal?

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a VarioS 10 directly from CoralVue outlet in December, brand new. It has a high pitch whine and its not going away. I submitted a ticket a couple months back and I was told to let it break in. I have been letting it break in for a couple months now and its not getting any better.

Here is a video - I adjust the speed from 30-100-30-off
My phone doesn't pick up the whine very well but its there and annoying.
I can't run the pump higher than 35% otherwise I can't enjoy my tank which kind of defeats the purpose of having a VarioS 10

I more or less keep getting a generic response from CoralVue to just send it in and they will trouble shoot it. That's easier said then done. As you can see from the video its hard plumbed in and I have to remove the controller from my electronics wall which will be a challenge in itself. First though I have to figure out if this is just normal and the VarioS 10 sounds like this (I have other Reef Octopus equipment, skimmers, pumps etc and they dont sound like this) or not. I then have to figure out another pump in its place since they inform me they don't have a loaner or replacement program and this is literally the heart of my system.

If Anyone has experience with the Varios 10 or other CoralVue pumps that sounds like this it would be appreciated before I go through the hassle of getting this sent back to CoralVue.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I've been on the fence on buying your same pump. I want something quiet so i can enjoy the tank but I'm wondering if it can support my 300 Gallon tank.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I've been on the fence on buying your same pump. I want something quiet so i can enjoy the tank but I'm wondering if it can support my 300 Gallon tank.

This is on a 600 gallon. I actually sent the pump in for service and turns out it was the controller introducing whine. I have a new controller on it now and its dead silent. This pump is a beast. I only run it at 50% and it does just fine. I have the room to go higher if I need but for my system I dont need to go higher at the moment.

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome information. Maybe Reef Octopus can give you a referral credit or something?
If that beast can power your tank that is twice my size, I'm definitely good to go

Jaydubb77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, my varios 8 is doing the same thing! It's driving me nuts. Anything above 2 and the noise resonates throughout the living room. I submitted a ticket and I'm waiting on their response.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back