Varios 6 - Shutdown, followed by sudden loss of flow

chaotic.neutral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings -

I've experienced a sudden loss of flow with two of my Varios 6 pumps over the past 45 days. The pump feeds a 90 gallon reefer 350 with a manifold that runs carbon and UV. Roughly 45 days ago, after a feeding the pump wouldn't turn back on. I tried everything I could think of; it was getting late in the day and I was traveling over the weekend so I ran to the LFS and picked up another Varios 6. I've heard it's good to have a backup anyway. When I returned from the LFS, the pump magically turned on. I thought everything was good to go but I noticed that the flow rate had substantially decreased. I swapped out the controller I received with the new pump and that fixed it. I figured, bad controller, it probably happened every so often.

Last night, the same thing happened. Feeding cycle, then pump wouldn't turn on. After an hour or so it did decide to turn on again but the same thing happened. See the screenshot below. I've got a flow meter after the manifold and it dropped roughly 50% from the mid 200s to the low 100s. It's clear that it's not the pump but the controller governing the pump for some reason.

In the following thread, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/varios-6-losing-flow.406202/page-3 , @Jgardiner1981 notes that something similar where the controller was the cause of a drop in flow.

Has anyone else experienced this? My pump is currently running at to low of rate for the system. I know getting a new controller would likely fix it but I don't want to dump another $100 bucks into this $ pit unless I know it would be a relatively permanent solution.

Anyone experienced anything like this with the Varios 6 (or any of the Varios pumps) or have any advice. Thanks a million in advance.

Screenshot_20200913-080517_APEX Fusion.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put in the new pump, to see if it fixes it?

Honestly 75% of the time, it seems like reduced flow readings are resolve by cleaning the flow sensor. Its just something that people never do.

OP
OP
C

chaotic.neutral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put in the new pump, to see if it fixes it?

Honestly 75% of the time, it seems like reduced flow readings are resolve by cleaning the flow sensor. Its just something that people never do.
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I did try the new pump and the flow reading was the same.

Also, it wasn't a sensor issue as I noticed the drop right away as I had to drastically change down the valve on the drain.

OP
OP
C

chaotic.neutral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing. Here is a graph of my power consumption of the return pump before and after the change in slow down. In both cases, I'm running the pump on the maximum power setting but for some reason, the pump went from drawing a little over 70 watts down to 25 watts.

I've tried different outlets - It seems to be a bottleneck in the control where the controller has a new maximum amount of watts it wants to allow the pump to consume.

I'm pretty sure the two pumps are fine. The controller(s) just suddenly seemed to decide to send less energy to it!

Any ideas on how to get the controller working again?

Screenshot 2020-09-13 200702.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 87 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back