Varios Pump + Icecap Backup?

Discussion in 'Reef Octopus' started by scotturban54, Jul 30, 2018.

1. scotturban54

scotturban54 Active Member

Will the icecap battery backup work with the RO Varios 8 Pumps or the Neptune Cor pumps?

Tags:

2. Jeremy@CoralVue

Jeremy@CoralVue CoralVue PR Manager R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Sorry the Icecap battery is intended for smaller 12v dc flow pumps like the gyre. You would require a larger battery to continuously run a larger water pump like the Varios 8.

scotturban54 likes this.
  3. TessGlo

TessGlo Active Member

Does the Icecap battery backup work with the Reef Octopus Octo Pulse 4 power-head? I just tried and it didn't work, I'm hoping its just I have the wrong adapter or something. Also, I thought the Icecap was for DC pumps 12-24 volts?

4. Jeremy@CoralVue

Yes the Octo Pulse 4 does work with the IceCap back up battery. No special connection ends needed, just one of the Y cables installed properly. Please make sure that the battery is fully charged for 48 hours before testing. The Octo Pulse should reduce in speed when power is lost and will resume programmed speed and mode once power is returns.

5. kpalas

kpalas Member

Why does the description of the Icecap battery says it will work for 12-24v dc pumps, but yet I'm being told it won't work for a Varios 2 pump?

6. Jeremy@CoralVue

In essence the VarioS 2 could operate off of the battery but not as you would expect it to. The IceCap backup battery is more designed to manage flow pumps like the Maxpsect and IceCap Gyre pumps. These pumps knock down the power to conserve the battery life. With water pumps like the VarioS they usually require higher power settings and usually under higher head pressure tend to run and draw a lot from the batteries in a short period of time even when used with two batteries. These types of power cycles can also drastically shorten the life of the battery and why I do not suggest their use on such pumps. Thanks for your understanding.

7. kpalas

kpalas Member

Ok thank you.

8. Reefiness

Reefiness Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I just got my pulse 4 pumps in yesterday and installed them hoping to connect them to my ice cap batteries as I had my jebaos set up. When I connect these pumps to the batteries, the 2 leds for 15 min and 60 min pause flash red. What am i doing wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted