Varios vs Blue Line vs Pan World

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to replace my return pump which has been a Blue Line 70 and looking for pros cons or other pumps I should consider.

The Blue Line was running for several years without the first bit of maintenance but died from a power outage so now is the time to make a switch if I'm going to. The only reason to switch is to go to something controllable and more efficient since I need to get something.

Whatever I get will be run external and will run 24/7 I don't adjust it for feeding etc, the only time it's turned off is during water changes.

I was originally looking at the Vectra L1 but I've seen to many reports of them dying to take the plunge on a pump that expensive. I know they stand by their product and have great customer service but I'm looking for a pump that doesn't require customer service. I haven't heard of the same issues with the Various which is why the 8 is in the running, it's more efficient I'm just concerned with it's longevity and noise, the Blue Line I couldn't hear running if the cabinet doors were closed and only heard a slight hum if they were open when standing in front of the tank.

I could get another BL but the places I buy most of my stuff through carry the Pan World, are they the same pump? It looks like the PW 200 is the exact same as the BL70, can anyone confirm this? My concern is noise and longevity on this one.

Am I missing an great option? BTW display is a 300DD with roughly another 100G of sump. I'd rather oversize the pump and throttle it back than hope it moves enough water. The BL I had to throttle but I was fine with that, the only drawback to the BL is it seemed to generate a lot of heat since when I took it offline and put a Mag18 internal to run temporarily the tank temp dropped 2+ degree's.

TIA

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for good head pressure and volume, you can't go wrong with the pan world. I have a 40px for my water changing station and works like a champ. Only once did the impeller seize up as cavitation created calcium deposits. Soaked in vinegar for an hour and was back in tip top shape.

The DC pumps do not seem to have as much head pressure capability. I love my pan world pump, but I haven't owned anything but that and sicce. The varios pumps are nice if you haven't seen those? Just look at the pump curves though.

OP
OP
M

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combining replies with "another reef site"

The way it's plumbed there seems to be VERY little head pressure judging by how far I've had to throttle my BL back. The way it is now it comes out of the pump 1.5" up 2.5 feet to a T that runs across the bottom of the tank and then use sweeps to the standard return plumbing of the tank (1" I believe) to go the last 25" up each back corner. My main concern at this point is power efficiency, noise, and service life.

If I go with a DC or any other pump it wouldn't be a Jebao, I'm more than willing to pay for quality and piece of mind. My understanding is the Jebao's are decent at their price point but have had more than a few issues of leaks (100% not acceptable to me) and have a relatively high failure rate also not acceptable. Even the Varios I'm leery of on that front. The more I think about it the more I'm actually looking at the Red Dragon's VS the BL or PW. One of the best purchases I've ever made in my reef experience was a Bubble Kink Super Marin skimmer so I'm a believer that quality is a large part of value.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Blueline is likely repairable, but that's up to you. As far as DC pumps go, Royal Exclusiv and Abyzz are the top of the heap, but they cost. If I was in your position, I'd replace it with a properly sized Blueline. I know that my BL70 pumps all the water I could ever want from my basement. Assuming that I measured nappe height over my overflow correctly and watts used while running, it is flowing well over the rated volume.

What size tank are you running?

OP
OP
M

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Blueline is likely repairable, but that's up to you. As far as DC pumps go, Royal Exclusiv and Abyzz are the top of the heap, but they cost. If I was in your position, I'd replace it with a properly sized Blueline. I know that my BL70 pumps all the water I could ever want from my basement. Assuming that I measured nappe height over my overflow correctly and watts used while running, it is flowing well over the rated volume.

What size tank are you running?

Tank is a 300 DD with roughly 100G sump. I agree I think the BL I had was also capable of pumping far more than it's rated for assuming that my overflows are moving the amount of water they're rated for. I'm really only looking at the switch because of the reduction in power and the ability to tune the pump output vs throttling it with a ball valve. Going from 300 to 100 or so watts is significant when it's running 24/7 from not only a power consumption perspective but should also be noticeable in associated heat which should mean fans run less further reducing power consumption.

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Blueline but due to the noise and heat I’m moving to Varios. I was hoping the COR would be released by now.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put flow meters on my blueline/Panworld pumps and they pretty much flow what they are rated at. Eyeballing flow isn't terribly precise.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the blueline 70 a "HD"? Was it new when you got it?

OP
OP
M

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was an HD and it was new when I got it. It lasted a decade or better with no maintenance running 24/7 which I was perfectly happy with it just gave up after a power outage and wouldn't restart just hummed and got hot, once it quit and I replaced it with the Mag and saw the temp drop is what got me thinking about switching to something else if there was a better alternative.

OP
OP
M

mlb75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 40 doesn't put out enough flow for what I'm looking for. I want to be over 1000 and more like 1200GPH to get 3-4X turnover though the sump.

Back