Vectra pump and herbie overflow

  • Thread starter Thread starter RTab619
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RTab619

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
458
Reaction score
124
Location
Atlanta
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my new Vectra pump set up... love the adjustable flow. Thinking about reducing the flow during feeding - if I do this will I run into problems with the herbie? Drain outpacing return pump thus causing air to get sucked into my siphon drain pipe?

I guess if it does I can always play around and see how low of a return I can go with and for how long and just program that into the feeding mode so that it never goes to that point (assuming the water level in the overflow will balance out again - will it?)
 
Yep. You'll tune the herbie siphon tube to match the flow rate of the return pump. If you slow the return pump, you won't be able to pull a siphon. Might just be a little noisy while you are feeding, but is fine otherwise. It will restart when you put the pump back to the normal level.
 
Thanks icecool. That's what I was thinking but just wanted to be 100% sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new