Vectra S2 experience?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.
Setting up a new tank (72 bowfront) that will be for seahorses and a few mild-mannered fish and non-stinging corals. I'm going to use my 10 years of experience and try to do everything right, right from the start this time (wish me luck) and I'm TAKING MY TIME setting this one up, practicing patience, and not rushing anything (wish me LOTS of luck on that one!)

I have a few pumps lying around that I can use to return the water from the sump to the display, but I've been kind of drooling over the Vectra S2 pump. I don't NEED it, but I want it. Is it worth the money? Anyone here who can give me the pros and cons? I'm trying to decide if I should treat myself to a new pump or if I should save the $300 and put it towards something else.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sue

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been looking at the Vectra S series pumps since they came out. ( I finally got one for my new 66 gallon tank)
One thing I have noticed is there are very few of them going up on the used equipment market, which tells me people like them and are keeping them.

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Vectra L1 and it's been pretty good. I run it at 60% power producing 465 gph at my flow meter for a 180 gallon display tank. I'm not sure the ability to program the return pump is super value to me, since it's constant, but it's nice that it integrates well with controllers and the Ecotech Reeflink.

I did notice that if I run it at higher power, it tends to generate more heat, and prevents me from keeping my water temperature as consistent as I would prefer. YMMV.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Since I have so many pumps lying around, I really can't justify spending $300 on a new toy, and I just purchased a new sump so that put a little ding in the budget. Thanks for the feedback. I, too, wondered how helpful being able to control the flow would be since that's not one that we normally adjust or change once we find the right speed.
Sue

Back