Vehicular electrical issue question

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 1998 Dodge Dakota that all of a sudden quit allowing electrical power from the battery. I was able to get in, turn the key and at least get dashlights, radio, dome, etc. Once I turned the ignition to Start, everything would die. If I pulled the starter relay (or another seemingly unrelated relay) in the power distribution center (under the hood), the power would go back to the radio/dome, etc.

The battery reads 12.5 VDC. I have continuity from battery to starter and battery back into power distribution center. No power what so ever to anything, though (light switch on, but no lights, etc.).

Anyone have any ideas on where to start? I pulled the starter initially when I could reset the circuit after turning to Start, thinking it might have frozen, but now the problem seems a lot further upstream.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might make sure power is getting threw the computer, if power isnt going past it, you wont get much.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure your ground connections are clean and tight both at battery and frame

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really i would replace the relay. you could also have a short in the starter, but i would surely change the relay first

hippo tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local auto parts store and get the book for your car. That should have the info. You need to fix it yourself

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure connections at battery are all clean and tight. also there may be a short in the fuse block or a bad asd(auto shut down) relay.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure connections at battery are all clean and tight. also there may be a short in the fuse block or a bad asd(auto shut down) relay.

+1; In that year of auto, I would look for an ASD switch or fuse. I know in the Fords, it was installed underneath the dash (just a little black box with a push reset button). It was designed to shut the motor down if you got in an accident - most people didn't realize you had to reset it if you hit something. Ford had to redesign theirs after too many ranchers got left afoot driving across their fields in the middle of no where when they hit a post or ditch or bump. Also look for a secondary primary fuse - in the 90 Fords they where a larger fuse about the size of a silver dollar located next to the fuse box. When they go bad, starter doesn't start. HTH

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back