Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet outbreak in my system in April, lost bunch of fish. Then, I was going on vacation so it was not a good timing to treat fish that survived. I am ready to qt now, I left sponges and matrix in my sump for 6 weeks, I have cooper power, hanna cooper test and ammonia badges. I have never used cooper before. What level of cooper should I keep 2.0? The fish I have left look absolutely healthy. How should I qt them now?

What type of fish? 2.0 is my new target.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if any of those wrasse would be sensitive.

But when it comes to these tiny micro suckers, they’re designed to survive. I wouldn’t risk it and would slowly ramp up to 2.0

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif

The original post of this thread has been updated with new information.

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang which is showing signs of marine velvet. I currently have 2 clownfish, an algae blenny and a tomini tang in the same dt. I setup a 20-gallon hospital tank. I have two questions:
1. Should I add all 5 fish to the 20 gallon and treat them with copper power even though I don't see any signs of velvet for the other 4?
2. Can I do the chemical bath with API Fungus Cure?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang which is showing signs of marine velvet. I currently have 2 clownfish, an algae blenny and a tomini tang in the same dt. I setup a 20-gallon hospital tank. I have two questions:
1. Should I add all 5 fish to the 20 gallon and treat them with copper power even though I don't see any signs of velvet for the other 4?
2. Can I do the chemical bath with API Fungus Cure?
A 20G is going to badly stress the fish. I also recommend CP over copper. Copper is poison.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just treat the tang? I can't get ahold of CP so I'm gonna have to stick with copper. More specifically Cupramine not copper power.
If you just treat one fish and in fact it does have a parasite, then it won't do much. The tank will still be infected. I'm trying to just keep my fish very healthy with fresh natural foods.

FYI, you can get CP here:

Master of Cloak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just treat one fish and in fact it does have a parasite, then it won't do much. The tank will still be infected. I'm trying to just keep my fish very healthy with fresh natural foods.

FYI, you can get CP here:

Just noticed the clowns have it too. Is there any way I can have all the fish in the 20. I don't have any other options. I can do daily or every other day water changes.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is any way to get Chloroquine, then I would look at using it. I've seen much better outcomes for fish infected with Amyoodinium than with copper.

Alternatively, there is also a peroxide treatmentn regime in development that may also help. @Humblefish may be able to advise. If the fish are badly infected, I would always advise a freshwater dip on the way to QT with some Myzaxin (Methylene Blue, Acriflavine & formaldehyde) which helps remove some of the feeding stage of the parasites, especially from the gills and helps reduce the likleyhood of secondary bacterial infection.

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease masking: There is some anecdotal evidence to suggest that fish treated with a non-therapeutic level of copper will not show symptoms of ich, velvet, brook, etc. for weeks. This is why it can be dangerous to buy from LFS who treat their fish with copper but do not test daily to ensure it remains within the therapeutic range.
Just read this and it makes a lot of sense. Looks like I may lose all my fish in QT to Velvet and they didn't show any signs until almost day 15 on the dot. Fish came from online retailer and not entirely sure if copper was being used. Pretty convenient regarding the 14 day insurance policy.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this and it makes a lot of sense. Looks like I may lose all my fish in QT to Velvet and they didn't show any signs until almost day 15 on the dot. Fish came from online retailer and not entirely sure if copper was being used. Pretty convenient regarding the 14 day insurance policy.
If they are in QT, why don't you treat them?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as i suspected Velvet i started copper, lost two this morning and the way the others are looking i am not hopeful. Going to step up my QT protocol going forward.
Stop using copper. Copper is a poison. Use CP, I can't say this enough.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop using copper. Copper is a poison. Use CP, I can't say this enough.
I have an Anthias left and Melanarus wrasse that needs sand to sleep in. I thought it wasnt recommended to do CP with Anthias, some wrasses and the sand will absorb or react with the CP?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Anthias left and Melanarus wrasse that needs sand to sleep in. I thought it wasnt recommended to do CP with Anthias, some wrasses and the sand will absorb or react with the CP?
Well, supposedly (I've never done any research, and the longer I go on, I'm really relying on my own research) the sand absorbs copper and CP.

I've read anctodal evidence that ceartin wrasse and anthias don't do well in CP. I've never tried one

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back