Velvet fallow period length?

Stevenlburton

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2017
Messages
77
Reaction score
30
Location
Lawrenceville GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a case of velvet, at least it seems that is what has appeared on the last remaining fish, the clown I've had for a year and a half, he was 8 when I got him. I suspect it killed the Cole Tang and young clown before the disease became apparent on the skin. Surprising though considering they all went through quarantine together, 4 1/2 months ago, a week of Prazipro, then two weeks of Coppersafe with a simultaneous second treatment of Prazi. They were the only three fish ever introduced, no fish added for months, but some corals and inverts have been introduced. Looks like the fish I have in quarantine now will have an extended stay, with increased copper levels. Any advice on how long to leave the tank fishless?
 
76 days seems to be the rule of thumb.

If added anything wet coral, rock, etc the encrusted form can enter your tank if they didnt go through a fallow period themselves.
 
Looks like a case of velvet, at least it seems that is what has appeared on the last remaining fish, the clown I've had for a year and a half, he was 8 when I got him. I suspect it killed the Cole Tang and young clown before the disease became apparent on the skin. Surprising though considering they all went through quarantine together, 4 1/2 months ago, a week of Prazipro, then two weeks of Coppersafe with a simultaneous second treatment of Prazi. They were the only three fish ever introduced, no fish added for months, but some corals and inverts have been introduced. Looks like the fish I have in quarantine now will have an extended stay, with increased copper levels. Any advice on how long to leave the tank fishless?

6 weeks will erradicate velvet. But you might as well go the full 76 days and wipe out everything. That's what I do!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new