Velvet in 37 gallon reef tank?!?

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, putting this here mistakenly put it in wrong forum.

Having a really horrible time with my 37 gallon reef tank :( I have a bad bad bad! Case of velvet in my reef tank (thanks to a fish store I stupidly purchased from who I see does not treat their tanks or fish- I know the new fish I put in is the reason I have this issue) and I’ve lost many fish dying, disappearing, coated in white film/spots. It’s been very upsetting. I just added a new clown (stupidly) and he caught the velvet within a day. I’ll attach photos below. (I do have coral and inverts in this tank)

I really need help of how to cure this and make sure it’s out of my tank! And stops hurting my fish and new fish I get after this is cured (hopefully) I don’t have space to set up a quarantine so that isn’t an option. I have been doing 1tsp of parashield daily. Not seeing a difference at all :( Please help!

Update since I wrote this earlier today:

Clown died found him on power head this afternoon (pictures from last night)

See that watchmen is alive with pistol shrimp

All inverts, shrimp, and coral doing ok

IMG_2872.jpeg IMG_2871.jpeg IMG_2883.jpeg IMG_2884.jpeg IMG_2885.jpeg IMG_2887.jpeg IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_2893.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need pics under white light. Also, a qt doesn't need to be big or fancy. It can just be a bin.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes goby left in terms of fish

With such a small fish, I think it would be possible to QT him in a very small tank and leave the display fishless. Those gobies can live in very very small tanks. And it would take up less than a square foot

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, putting this here mistakenly put it in wrong forum.

Having a really horrible time with my 37 gallon reef tank :( I have a bad bad bad! Case of velvet in my reef tank (thanks to a fish store I stupidly purchased from who I see does not treat their tanks or fish- I know the new fish I put in is the reason I have this issue) and I’ve lost many fish dying, disappearing, coated in white film/spots. It’s been very upsetting. I just added a new clown (stupidly) and he caught the velvet within a day. I’ll attach photos below. (I do have coral and inverts in this tank)

I really need help of how to cure this and make sure it’s out of my tank! And stops hurting my fish and new fish I get after this is cured (hopefully) I don’t have space to set up a quarantine so that isn’t an option. I have been doing 1tsp of parashield daily. Not seeing a difference at all :( Please help!

Update since I wrote this earlier today:

Clown died found him on power head this afternoon (pictures from last night)

See that watchmen is alive with pistol shrimp

All inverts, shrimp, and coral doing ok

IMG_2872.jpeg IMG_2871.jpeg IMG_2883.jpeg IMG_2884.jpeg IMG_2885.jpeg IMG_2887.jpeg IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_2893.jpeg
This is an accelerated case of brook with secondary bacteria and skin lesions and allowing it to get this point will be a battle. Youre not going to have an easy time finding formalin based meds and will have to resort to acriflavine or Chloroquine phosphate for treatment.
Temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not velvet, its Brook. Need to QT all fish and treat with formulin. Tank will need to fallow for 45 to 76 days.
Would you suggest doing water changes and putting a treatment in tank during that 45-76 days?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest doing water changes and putting a treatment in tank during that 45-76 days?
Don't treat your main tank. Inverts can stay in. Continue normal husbandry. You may need to ghost feed or dose neophos and neonitro to keep nutrients adequate for corals. All fish need to be removed though. As long as the tank is fallow for the required minimum time the brook disease will fade out in there. For future you need to QT fish prior to adding to your display or may a little extra and by fish from an LFS that does the QT service.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If there is no fish, then there is no need to treat the tank with anything. If the fish has brook, I personally would use paraguard over formalin as formalin makes me nervous and I had success with paraguard (it is an aldehyde malachite green mix so still becareful). Next I would say ruby reef rally pro but the concentration makes me question its effectiveness since I worry that anything "reef safe" is too weak on disease. However, people do use formalin. You just need to use PPE for any of these and take extra caution with formalin.

OP
OP
Tyreefer

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't treat your main tank. Inverts can stay in. Continue normal husbandry. You may need to ghost feed or dose neophos and neonitro to keep nutrients adequate for corals. All fish need to be removed though. As long as the tank is fallow for the required minimum time the brook disease will fade out in there. For future you need to QT fish prior to adding to your display or may a little extra and by fish from an LFS that does the QT service.
Yes this started because I went to one fish store one day for fun (not my usual LFS) and they don’t treat their tanks or fish (I later found out) and my LFS does! So I made the mistake trusting this random place.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this started because I went to one fish store one day for fun (not my usual LFS) and they don’t treat their tanks or fish (I later found out) and my LFS does! So I made the mistake trusting this random place.

Btw if an LFS keeps their fish in copper, that does not mean they are being QT'd. It just means marine ich and velvet won't break out in their system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back