Velvet in reef tank

Tyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Having a really horrible time with my 37 gallon reef tank :( I have a bad bad bad! Case of velvet in my reef tank (thanks to a fish store I stupidly purchased from who I see does not treat their tanks or fish- I know the new fish I put in is the reason I have this issue) and I’ve lost many fish dying, disappearing, coated in white film/spots. It’s been very upsetting. I just added a new clown (stupidly) and he caught the velvet within a day. I’ll attach photos below. (I do have coral and inverts in this tank)

I really need help of how to cure this and make sure it’s out of my tank! And stops hurting my fish and new fish I get after this is cured (hopefully) I don’t have space to set up a quarantine so that isn’t an option. I have been doing 1tsp of parashield daily. Not seeing a difference at all :( Please help!

IMG_2871.jpeg IMG_2872.jpeg IMG_2873.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

If an #mod could move this to the disease forum and slap an emergency tag on it would be awesome.

While you wait, please post some new pics in white light if possible.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics would help. Velvet causes primarily rapid breathing and fish will typically swim into flow. Any white coating is not usually seen, except those near death.
What this looks like is brooklynella or really bad ich.
There is no way to treat any of these diseases inside the tank - all fish will need to be quarantined and treated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back