Velvet in DT

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see...

I think I have read that CP has a negative impact on the fish immune system. Should I do a transfer to a clean tank after a week (to cover both ich and velvet)?

If this is velvet is there any chance that the other fish in the tank don't display any kind of symptoms over the next few days?
It could be possible that the other fish won't. Clownfish can hold out for sometime for example. Unfortunately, the other possibility is a string of quick fish death. Once you're confident you have velvet pull the trigger and treat them all.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am watching the fish for any signs. There are still 3 angels in the tank that I think are the most likely candidates, possibly with the threadfin cardinals, but for now, they look normal.

The rest are 3 ocellaris, 2 Banggai cardinals, 2 marine bettas, 1 diamond goby, 1 matted filefish, 2 red bandtail wasps and 2 yellow assessors.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female angel was dead and I will not get more fish for a long time if ever again.

When I got the last fish I wanted for this tank back in July I said to myself, that's it, I won't get more fish for a year or 2.

When I got the last coral, I said the same thing, the tank is closed.

So, after losing many fish during the quarentine since February and now 4 fish, depending on how things go, I am considering more and more often getting out of the hobby, 13 years after setting up my first reef tank.

I just noticed a little head twitching on one of the heraldi angels, but that's it for now.

I worked on oceanography for a few years and even if I hadn't, the data available today on climate and especially sea ice, makes it very easy to conclude that over the next 10-20 years there will be massive changes to the planet.

No sea ice -> abrupt change in weather patterns in the north hemisphere -> massive crops failures -> hundreds of millions of refugees.

Media focuses on hurricanes, heat waves and sea level rise but it seems everyone is ignoring the threat the the foundation of civilization: agriculture.

So, I got my dream reef tank because if not now, when?

I remember reading a book where there was this old lady that whenever she went out, she would bring a forget-me-not and hold it in front of her nose while walking the streets, to avoid seeing the degrading world around her.

In a way, this reef tank is my forget-me-not and it was a bad choice for that function.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back