Velvet in reef tank.

Skimmerdon’tstink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers , I've been battling valvet for 2 months now i took everyone out but can't catch my 4 chromis which seems to be bullet proof against it. I tried again after 2 weeks without fish and toss in a flame hawk, 2 days later he didn't make it. Are chromis not affected by valvet and what can i do? IT's a 90G mix reef tank with lots of rock work , kinda impossible to catch all of them. Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello reefers , I've been battling valvet for 2 months now i took everyone out but can't catch my 4 chromis which seems to be bullet proof against it. I tried again after 2 weeks without fish and toss in a flame hawk, 2 days later he didn't make it. Are chromis not affected by valvet and what can i do? IT's a 90G mix reef tank with lots of rock work , kinda impossible to catch all of them. Thanks
Velvet usually affects all fish as no fish is prone to disease. Disease resistant, maybe but not immune.
Can you provide pics under white lighting so we can see what you are describing?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know you have velvet? What were symptoms you observed?

Any DT that becomes infected with velvet, brook, ich, etc... would need to go fallow for 45 up to 76 days to clear the disease out typically. Unless you are chemically treating the DT.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should probably confirm it's velvet. That'll Wipe the tank.

One way to get those last fish is to mostly drain the tank. You will be able to catch all of the chromas in three to four inches of water. Grab a few trash cans, Rubbermaid containers or a bunch of salt mixing buckets and drop the water level, giving them no ability to evade you.

You have to have a completely hostless environment for a set time, to eradicate the disease in the display.

OP
OP
S

Skimmerdon’tstink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet usually affects all fish as no fish is prone to disease. Disease resistant, maybe but not immune.
Can you provide pics under white lighting so we can see what you are describing?
All my fish are gone , except a sailfin in QT doing great now , the only fish leftin the the tank are the chromis fish and thy look fine , what would you like a photo of ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All my fish are gone , except a sailfin in QT doing great now , the only fish leftin the the tank are the chromis fish and thy look fine , what would you like a photo of ?
Chromis

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a fish trap? It takes them awhile to get used to it but eventually they go in.

Small barbless hooks are also what some use.

OP
OP
S

Skimmerdon’tstink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know you have velvet? What were symptoms you observed?

Any DT that becomes infected with velvet, brook, ich, etc... would need to go fallow for 45 up to 76 days to clear the disease out typically. Unless you are chemically treating the DT.

OP
OP
S

Skimmerdon’tstink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's didn't look like ich and my sailfin and powder blue both showed symptoms of valvet, staying in front of the power head, countless white dots all over.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's didn't look like ich and my sailfin and powder blue both showed symptoms of valvet, staying in front of the power head, countless white dots all over.

Ich and velvet look very similar at certain stages.

Swimming in front of the Wave Makers sounds like Velvet as it will affect the gills in very high numbers.

Ljshelby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dealing with the same dam thing!! My chromies i cant catch for the life of me and they are thriving like no other

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back