Velvet outbreak!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about using only diamondback CP. I also agree with you that at this point the ebay stuff may be your only shot. Maybe check with a vet and/or order the copper. While waiting you can start the eBay cp. Once you receive pure CP or copper you can start your treatment over using that.

This can be a reminder to us all to check and restock our med cabinets!

I hope it all goes well for you.

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about using only diamondback CP. I also agree with you that at this point the ebay stuff may be your only shot. Maybe check with a vet and/or order the copper. While waiting you can start the eBay cp. Once you receive pure CP or copper you can start your treatment over using that.

Thanks again! From here on out I’m making sure I have a full supply of medications before I order another fish!

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not to steal this thread, but I often wonder how many folks are going the non-prescription CP route? It’s a dangerous choice as already noted. Might be an interesting poll?

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. Since my DT has to run fallow for 76 days anyway would it be safe to add corals at this time? All of the parameters are in check. Only thing I’m questionable on is lighting since I’m new to corals. I have 3 48in strip white LED lights Right now. Also have a 48in blue strip light but it makes the tank dark even with the two white lights.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question. Since my DT has to run fallow for 76 days anyway would it be safe to add corals at this time? All of the parameters are in check. Only thing I’m questionable on is lighting since I’m new to corals. I have 3 48in strip white LED lights Right now. Also have a 48in blue strip light but it makes the tank dark even with the two white lights.

What is your plan after you clear velvet from your DT? Are you going to QT (treat or just watch) every fish you buy? Corals can also bring things you do not want into your tank.

Check out these two links.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

After learning the hard way, I am going to be QTing my fish, but not my corals / inverts.

For my inverts, I plan on ordering them online from a vendor that doesn't have fish in their systems.

For my corals, unfortunately I am going to be rolling the dice (I will be dipping whatever I can, and hopefully shooting any bad things off with a baster).

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your plan after you clear velvet from your DT? Are you going to QT (treat or just watch) every fish you buy? Corals can also bring things you do not want into your tank.

Check out these two links.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

After learning the hard way, I am going to be QTing my fish, but not my corals / inverts.

For my inverts, I plan on ordering them online from a vendor that doesn't have fish in their systems.

For my corals, unfortunately I am going to be rolling the dice (I will be dipping whatever I can, and hopefully shooting any bad things off with a baster).
I plan to QT and treat with prazi for a couple weeks, then copper for 4 weeks or so. Just be super cautious after this nightmare. I understand that corals can introduce disease/ parasites to the tank. But I’m asking if it is going to be fallow anyway if this would be a good time to add them.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to QT and treat with prazi for a couple weeks, then copper for 4 weeks or so. Just be super cautious after this nightmare. I understand that corals can introduce disease/ parasites to the tank. But I’m asking if it is going to be fallow anyway if this would be a good time to add them.
Yes it's a good time. Just keep an eye out for any unwanted hitchhikers :)

OP
OP
Melinda01

Melinda01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you for the info. That helps a lot!
I called the vet today. She said that if she doesn’t have a “relationship” with the pet that she can not write an Rx. I can bring a fish that has died in for $98 and they may have to take a scraping to send for culture. Potentially another $300 before they will possibly write a script! Not to mention the time that it takes to get the results.... I think I’ll have to stick to copper. I ordered Cuprion and a Salifert kit for overnight delivery from BRS. The angel died today. Now I’m down to the yellow tang (who is clearly showing symptoms), the purple pseudochromis (who is also acting different), and the YWG. The goby looks like he is constantly being “massaged” by the fire shrimp who appear twice his size. Lol. I think maybe that’s why he’s lived so far through this because the shrimp are tanking care of him. I will have the tank and it’ll be set up tomorrow as soon as I can pick it up after work. Hopefully by then the Ruby Reef, Bio Spira, and copper will be in!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%

Back