Velvet recovery

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Velvet wiped out most of my fish. :( I have 3 survivors in QT, I treated them with copper. But I still have 1 Green Chromis left in the main display. I can't catch him and he wont go into the trap. I pulled almost all the rocks except 1 large formation (where he hides). The Chromis survived the Velvet without treatment...
So should I still get it out to start the fallow?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Velvet wiped out most of my fish. :( I have 3 survivors in QT, I treated them with copper. But I still have 1 Green Chromis left in the main display. I can't catch him and he wont go into the trap. I pulled almost all the rocks except 1 large formation (where he hides). The Chromis survived the Velvet without treatment...
So should I still get it out to start the fallow?
Yes, otherwise when you put fish back in, the valvet will come right back. You want to do a fishless period of at least 76 days just to be safe.. I'm currently running fish-less due to a brooklynella outbreak. I've got my new fish in quarantine waiting to go though :)

OP
OP
Hemlawk

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good.
I think I'll do the same thing then. My next worry would be: How do I know my old fish are cured? Will the Chromis reinfect the cured fish?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds good.
I think I'll do the same thing then. My next worry would be: How do I know my old fish are cured? Will the Chromis reinfect the cured fish?
You'll want to treat all your fish. Even though they aren't showing signs, they may still be carrying it. Put them all in a hospital tank and treat with the appropriate meds for the time recommended by the product you choose. I'm not familiar with treatments for Velvet so hopefully someone else can chime in on that aspect. :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fallow period cannot start until all fish are removed from an aquarium.

To eradicate velvet, treat all fish with copper or CP in a QT for 30 days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back