Velvet/Ruby Rally Pro Prevention?

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been dealing with a velvet infection in my 20g long for the past couple of days (likely introduced from a clownfish that was hatched and raised in a separate tank at LFS so I presumed it was safe). I have been diligent as I can about it and plan to introduce the fish into QT by tonight and treat them.

The question is, the infected tank is only a couple feet away from my 65g reef tank, and I am REALLY concerned about any cross contamination. Ever since I noticed the infection I haven’t touched both of the tanks at the same time but it’s still terrifying to think that it may have made it into the other system.

My question is, if I use Ruby Reef Rally Pro, which at least helps with velvet to my understanding, in my DT, would that potentially work as a preventative treatment? I hear it is reef safe and my current experiences with it in the 20g would support that, but would it be effective in stifling any dinospores that made it over?

Thanks everyone!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If there is not fish in the other tank, why add more chemicals to it? Just let it sit fallow for the recommended 76 days for the velvet to die off.

What are you using to treat the fish in the 20g?
Please see recommended treatments for Brook/Velvet/Ich

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is not fish in the other tank, why add more chemicals to it? Just let it sit fallow for the recommended 76 days for the velvet to die off.

What are you using to treat the fish in the 20g?
Please see recommended treatments for Brook/Velvet/Ich

First of all, thanks for responding so quickly!

I should probably clarify, but I have two tanks, a 65g reef with 8 fish and a 20g with 2 fish + inverts. Currently, the 20g has velvet, and I am planning on moving the fish out and into QT tonight to treat w/ copper. That being said, I am worried about aerosol/ water splashing transmission of velvet from the 20g into the 65g. Therefore, if I dosed Ruby Reef Rally Pro in the 65g, would it help kill any velvet dinospores that potentially found their way in there?

Sorry for any confusion!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
What else do you have in the 20g?
Aerosol transfer in theory could happen if you are using an bubbler and the air movement is just right in the house. But for the everyday hobbyist its probably not necessary to take extra precautions. Maybe make sure you don't have fan running blowing towards the other tank or using air stones.

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else do you have in the 20g?
Currently just a coral beauty and a baby saddleback clown. The coral beauty is unlikely to survive IMO; I didn’t have everything ready for a QT last night so I did a FW dip to buy some time and he looks somewhat better but still bad. The clown is doing fine but has been breathing fast/flashing.
Aerosol transfer in theory could happen if you are using an bubbler and the air movement is just right in the house. But for the everyday hobbyist its probably not necessary to take extra precautions. Maybe make sure you don't have fan running blowing towards the other tank or using air stones.
That’s a relief to hear. Surface disturbance is not particularly strong in the 20g and is tucked in the corner of the room so there isn’t much airflow around it. Thanks for your help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been dealing with a velvet infection in my 20g long for the past couple of days (likely introduced from a clownfish that was hatched and raised in a separate tank at LFS so I presumed it was safe). I have been diligent as I can about it and plan to introduce the fish into QT by tonight and treat them.

The question is, the infected tank is only a couple feet away from my 65g reef tank, and I am REALLY concerned about any cross contamination. Ever since I noticed the infection I haven’t touched both of the tanks at the same time but it’s still terrifying to think that it may have made it into the other system.

My question is, if I use Ruby Reef Rally Pro, which at least helps with velvet to my understanding, in my DT, would that potentially work as a preventative treatment? I hear it is reef safe and my current experiences with it in the 20g would support that, but would it be effective in stifling any dinospores that made it over?

Thanks everyone!

I don't feel that Rally Pro is effective enough against velvet to work even as a preventative.

Aerosol transmission has been documented for bacteria and Amyloodinium (Velvet). You'll often find the phrase about "ten foot spacing" between tanks. That is just extrapolated from this paper:

Extrapolation from studies like this don't always correlate to home aquariums though.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks everyone!
While cross-contamination is a risk, Ruby Rally is effective with bacterial and fungal issues and not so much with velvet although a flagellate is best treated with Coppersafe in a quarantine setting

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, thanks for responding so quickly!

I should probably clarify, but I have two tanks, a 65g reef with 8 fish and a 20g with 2 fish + inverts. Currently, the 20g has velvet, and I am planning on moving the fish out and into QT tonight to treat w/ copper. That being said, I am worried about aerosol/ water splashing transmission of velvet from the 20g into the 65g. Therefore, if I dosed Ruby Reef Rally Pro in the 65g, would it help kill any velvet dinospores that potentially found their way in there?

Sorry for any confusion!
Just curious - how do you know it's 'velvet'. Were the 2 fish in the 20 gallon ever in the 65 gallon? If so - you would need to treat the fish in the 65 gallon tank as well.

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I came home this afternoon and the CB was dead :( Clownfish is being moved into copper as we speak. Fingers crossed and lesson learned.

While cross-contamination is a risk, Ruby Rally is effective with bacterial and fungal issues and not so much with velvet although a flagellate is best treated with Coppersafe in a quarantine setting

Is Copper Power an acceptable alternative to Coppersafe? Thats all I have on me and I can't afford to wait another day at this rate. Thanks for the input btw, I guess Ruby Rally wasn't the product I'd hoped it was unfortunately.

OP
OP
spicyshrimp

spicyshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - how do you know it's 'velvet'. Were the 2 fish in the 20 gallon ever in the 65 gallon? If so - you would need to treat the fish in the 65 gallon tank as well.
I am 99% sure its velvet, I noticed a dust covering the CB 2 nights ago and this afternoon he was dead. Classic symptoms of hiding, flashing, swimming into powerhead, etc... I have no doubts really. I also have some (admittedly poor) pictures of the CB before he died if that quells any suspicions.

The CB was originally in the 65g about 6 months ago, but I transferred it to the 20g after it started brawling with my Venustus angel. As for the clownfish, my mother and I helped raise them at the LFS from eggs, and they kept them in a larger tank for a few months until we were ready to take one home. I'm fairly certain that's where the velvet came from though, and the 65g should be uncontaminated.

Rothric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I just went through the same thing. Tried using Rubby Rally Pro in my DT to combat velvet, but to no avail. Lost half of my fish, but the survivors are in a QT with 2.5 ppm Copper Power.

Good luck, and hope yours are able to pull through.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately I just went through the same thing. Tried using Rubby Rally Pro in my DT to combat velvet, but to no avail. Lost half of my fish, but the survivors are in a QT with 2.5 ppm Copper Power.

Good luck, and hope yours are able to pull through.
Ruby iffy for velvet- coppersafe more effective

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Update: I came home this afternoon and the CB was dead :( Clownfish is being moved into copper as we speak. Fingers crossed and lesson learned.

Is Copper Power an acceptable alternative to Coppersafe? Thats all I have on me and I can't afford to wait another day at this rate. Thanks for the input btw, I guess Ruby Rally wasn't the product I'd hoped it was unfortunately.
Yes Coppersafe is more diluted/unpredictable; Copper Power is more reliable.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think this is our current recommendation. If you use proper levels (which you should) - there should be no difference between copper power and coppersafe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did some bench testing, and actually, they are virtually identical. Dosed by label instructions, Copper Power tests out at around 2 ppm, while coppersafe runs 2.25 ppm. Copper Power seems to have a bit more ammonia in it as a chelator.

In terms of functionality, they are identical. I'm not sure how Endich was able to "clone" Coppersafe, I'd think that there must be patents on the formula. Coppersafe has been around since the late 1970s

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back