Velvet treatment for whole tank

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am currently in the progress of upgrading my 55g into a 125g.

when I got into the hobby 2 months ago I didn’t quarantine my first 2 clowns and was told quarantining the others would be useless since ich is probably in the system.

a week ago I got a sailfin tang and he seems to have pretty bad ich/velvet now which came really fast.

what are my options here? I can let my current tank fallow for 2-3 months before transferring lr and inverts/corals but I’ll need a 3rd tank to treat the fish?

how big of a QT tank do I need? I have :
2 clowns
2 banggai
2 chromis
1 YT
1 hippo tang
1 sailfin
1 orchid dottyback
1 manadarin
1 lawnmower blenny

Or should I gradually QT everyone a few of them at a time?

my easiest option would be to copper treat my current tank and kiss the rocks goodbye afterwards but I’m afraid transferring inverts and corals will bring the ich/velvet into the new tank

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a small foxface.

all the fish are in their infancy stages so they’re ok for my 55g for now (main reason I’m going bigger)

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin tang eats nori only pretty much and is still eating. I saw him swim towards my powerheads yesterday and after seeing how bad the ich is and reading on it I connected the dots.... it’s too late to only treat him right? All the others are in top shape.

for my mandarin : I had enough pods when I put him in my tank and I also have my copepod culture which I fill in the tank. This mixed with my hob homemade aquaclear filter refugium is a winning combiniation for mandarins in a new tank

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah a lot of fish haha, hmmm I think you would have to leave the tank empty for a couple of months to completely rid it of ich. Then again you said you were going to treat the tank with copper, hmmm maybe @Jay Hemdal can help. He has helped me a lot

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the disease is velvet the fish would probably already be dead as well as many others - very fast killer. Unless you purchase fish which have been quarantined for 30+ days, treated and conditioned (i.e. from TSM Aquatics among others) you need to QT. The clowns may have ick or may not depending upon where they came from. Very confused on the advise you were given. There are no shortcuts in reefing. Now you need to treat all the fish and have the tank go fallow for 76+ days to be safe and eliminate the disease. Use the black molly test after the fallow period to confirm disease eliminated.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the disease is velvet the fish would probably already be dead as well as many others - very fast killer. Unless you purchase fish which have been quarantined for 30+ days, treated and conditioned (i.e. from TSM Aquatics among others) you need to QT. The clowns may have ick or may not depending upon where they came from. Very confused on the advise you were given. There are no shortcuts in reefing. Now you need to treat all the fish and have the tank go fallow for 76+ days to be safe and eliminate the disease. Use the black molly test after the fallow period to confirm disease eliminated.

I let my tank go empty for a little less than two months and never had ich come back!

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m planning to do hyposalinity in one of the tanks. Would it be recommended to transfer coral/inverts in my new 125g while I do hyposalinity in the old one or would it be better to do hyposalinity in the new one and transfer old LR in there and let my old tank with inverts and corals go fallow?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re right about it not being velvet. Most the white dots are now gone. But there’s still some black ones. I think that tang had black ich mixed in with a bit of regular ich. The black is a lot more prominent. I’ll treat him ASAP along with my YT

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back