Velvet

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So long story short I bought a banana eel and was told it already went through a month of cp and was fully qt. I went strait into My dt and all my fish had velvet within the next 3 days. I pulled everything and qted them all. The DT has now been fallow for 6 week. I went and bought some freshwater black molly's and acclimated them to saltwater. I then added sand and water from my DT to their tank. I did lose 2 within 24 hours of acclimating them over. ( I think this was just the acclamation process that got to them) I did this on Wednesday. The two molly's that are left seem very healthy and I don't see a mark on them. Should I be good to go?

Thanks in advance.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my 3rd bout of Marine Velvet, I am going 12 weeks fallow in my DT... overkill?... maybe, but I’m not fooling around this time!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the addition of the eel caused a stress event that triggered the outbreak. Also, never trust that your livestock actually went through any kind of treatment unless you've done it yourself ;)
But as long as you treated, and went fallow for 76 days, you should be good to go :)

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read in one of humbfish write up that it's only 6 weeks fallow for it to die out?

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days seems to be the R2R “magic number.” I’m just giving mine 90 because I’m mad at the tank (Lol!) But actually, I’m using the time to be very productive with two QTs, copper, PraziPro, observation, etc., etc. Obviously if I a) rid the DT of Marine Velvet once and for all, and b) don’t carelessly re-introduce it, my fish and I can finally be in our ‘happy place!’

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Im trying to get all these fish back into the tank. Its a 540 so I have some fish well over 12 inches in 75 gallon tanks. I had to run out and buy 2 75 gallon tanks. I already had 2 40 breeders. So I have the fish spread between 4 tanks and I am having to do daily water changes to keep all the lvls in good range. That why I did the Molly test to see if the tank was good. I just wanted to know what others though of that.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be better to introduce the Molly’s to your DT and wait a week to be sure.
You are correct—6 week’s fallow for Velvet and 76 days for Ick. Highly likely you had Ick too so maybe prudent to wait 76 days prior to the DT Molly test.

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would it be high likely I had ick to. You think the eel would of been Carrying both? Up untill that eel everything that had ever been put into that tank was qt for a minimum of 30 days. I know there was nothing in the tank before the eel.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like this. Of you are 100% sure it was velvet and zero ich you are good after 6 weeks.

I didn't catch when the Molly's went in. I would give it 2 full weeks with the Molly's in the tank and still looking good before deeming it safe to move the fish back over.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read in one of humbfish write up that it's only 6 weeks fallow for it to die out?
I like 76 days as it's sort of a better safe than sorry scenario. No matter what parasite I know I waited long enough for it to die out :)

OP
OP
cody hendrix

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like this. Of you are 100% sure it was velvet and zero ich you are good after 6 weeks.

I didn't catch when the Molly's went in. I would give it 2 full weeks with the Molly's in the tank and still looking good before deeming it safe to move the fish back over.

So I put the Molly's in a separate tank with sand and water from the DT. They went into that tank about 4 days ago. The two that made it through the saltwatert acclimation are both doing great. With no sign of anything.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly what I was going to say. Velvet doesn’t have a very long life cycle but often ich is present as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back