Vender coral pic vs actual coral

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've made numerous purchases online from various venders on here and other places.....I've noticed one thing they all seem to have in common, the corals simply look better in the pic then they do in real life.

Now I am happy with most of my purchases and even if they don't pop as much as in the pic they still do look pretty great.

Do you guys find this same issue and are just ok with it as "thats just the way it is" or do you actually find they look the same?

I don't know if venders alter or enhance the images or if the camera simply picks up colors that our eyes don't see but I'm often a little disappointed when I see the corals.....I do run radions so I have a lot of flexibility with the spectrum.

One thing I have learned forsure is that the way it looks in the pic is by far the best it ever can look.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and water chemistry play huge roles in the corals growth and colors. Some vendors do alter their pics a lot but not all. About 99% of all my corals have at one time or another looked like the stock pic.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not always but its true...I find local reefers are better with frag quality and price

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the biggest things is lighting and the fact that most pictures are taken from above. If you have ever shut off your return pumps and powerbeads and taken a "birds eye view" of your tank I think you will see what I am talking about. Everything just looks better from above, probably due to seeing it without interference from glass etc. I have also noticed that the shipping stress can quickly make corals (brown out) but with a healthy system and stability they can bounce back rather quickly. I always ask that type of lighting the pictures were taken under, and keep that in mind when receiving my corals.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and water chemistry play huge roles in the corals growth and colors. Some vendors do alter their pics a lot but not all. About 99% of all my corals have at one time or another looked like the stock pic.
This is so true, I run my lights around 20K so I expect to usually get that same pop as they do

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True but my water quality is great and I have high end LED's the corals look healthy and colorful but not as nice as the pics. I have seen in people's growth posts on here and they think the colors are the same but the venders pic always looks way better.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the biggest things is lighting and the fact that most pictures are taken from above. If you have ever shut off your return pumps and powerbeads and taken a "birds eye view" of your tank I think you will see what I am talking about. Everything just looks better from above, probably due to seeing it without interference from glass etc. I have also noticed that the shipping stress can quickly make corals (brown out) but with a healthy system and stability they can bounce back rather quickly. I always ask that type of lighting the pictures were taken under, and keep that in mind when receiving my corals.

I agree. From above its much clearer. I still find it missing the pop. Even at 20k

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so true, I run my lights around 20K so I expect to usually get that same pop as they do

The corals look great just never as great.....the only company I've found, so far to be most accurate is divers den.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know spectrum is spectrum, but leds, halides and t5 make everything look different from one another.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals look great just never as great.....the only company I've found, so far to be most accurate is divers den.
Ive noticed companies like Unique corals, BSA, Cherry Corals , and Sexy Corals have always been spot on for my experience, but yea companies do saturate a little heavy

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a recent one I had.....this is one of the worst.....can you tell which is mine?
Screenshot_2016-03-17-23-01-38.png
IMG_20160309_121314.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-17-23-01-38.png

IMG_20160309_121317.jpg

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed companies like Unique corals, BSA, Cherry Corals , and Sexy Corals have always been spot on for my experience, but yea companies do saturate a little heavy

I believe everyone saturates. Maybe this is why our LFS's all seem to have crap and all the good stuff is online lol

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe everyone saturates. Maybe this is why our LFS's all seem to have crap and all the good stuff is online lol
Yea trust me saturation can get out of control plus a lot of times pics of all blues can give false hope of what they really look like

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea trust me saturation can get out of control plus a lot of times pics of all blues can give false hope of what they really look like

Yup....but I'm saying even when I'm running 20k plus. Every coral I order looks worse than the pic. Usually not significantly so I'm ok....and these venders really do have nice stuff....It just takes some learning to know what you are going to get.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not referring to one vender. If I was I would write a review. I feel that all or most venders are doing this and just wanted to see if anybody feels the same.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back