Vendor just sent me this "gem tang". What is going on here?

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife had to acclimate while i was at work, she was in a fullblown panic thinking they just sent a fish with velvet. Fortunately we had a copper power tank running 2.0ppm because we quarantine everything. She sent me these pictures and i have no idea what im looking at here, it doesnt look like velvet, almost like the fish has vitiligo or something and no pigment in these areas. Pattern is approximately similar on both sides of the fish, so some symmetry, which leads me to wonder if its actually a genetic marking vs a disease. Store is closed so i cant ask them directly until tomorrow.

Fish was shipped in dirty 1.016 water though so im not going to wait to get an answer from them if i need to be acting quickly on something. Not sure why anyone would ship salinity that low unless they are trying to keep disease down, that's really low. I mean the fish is huge (4-5in, sold as 2in) and looks nothing like the picture (normal gem tang) or any gem ive ever seen, so mad about all that, but thats something i can take up with the seller. For now just trying to diagnose if this is a disease.

IMG_6979(1).jpg Screenshot_20230817_133354_Messages.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like this should be solved in the vendor forum. Not the public forum. The quickest thing you should be acting on is asking for a refund?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that's the reality these days with low salinity. I get fish from several reputable sources and the salinity is always very low at around 1.015-1.016. The only real concern is it takes probably a day to get them acclimated to normal reef salinity.

Sorry but can't comment on the fish and those markings as not seen that.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be HLLE. Doesn't exactly look like it, but that's the most probable thing. It could also be a genetic anomaly. I'd QT the heck out of this fish just in case.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wife had to acclimate while i was at work, she was in a fullblown panic thinking they just sent a fish with velvet. Fortunately we had a copper power tank running 2.0ppm because we quarantine everything. She sent me these pictures and i have no idea what im looking at here, it doesnt look like velvet, almost like the fish has vitiligo or something and no pigment in these areas. Pattern is approximately similar on both sides of the fish, so some symmetry, which leads me to wonder if its actually a genetic marking vs a disease. Store is closed so i cant ask them directly until tomorrow.

Fish was shipped in dirty 1.016 water though so im not going to wait to get an answer from them if i need to be acting quickly on something. Not sure why anyone would ship salinity that low unless they are trying to keep disease down, that's really low. I mean the fish is huge (4-5in, sold as 2in) and looks nothing like the picture (normal gem tang) or any gem ive ever seen, so mad about all that, but thats something i can take up with the seller. For now just trying to diagnose if this is a disease.

Um - you did not get the tang you ordered. Those markings look artificial - or odd. Just dispute with your credit card

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This to me is not a salinity issue.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like this should be solved in the vendor forum. Not the public forum. The quickest thing you should be acting on is asking for a refund?
Maybe so but pretty sure he's looking for an opinion on what's wrong with the fish. Inquiring minds would like to know. 35 years of reefs and not seen anything like that.

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um - you did not get the tang you ordered. Those markings look artificial - or odd. Just dispute with your credit card
This is a weird take my man.

As i stated i dont give a rats whatever about the vendor thing or my money - yet.

I am trying to determine if this fish has a life threatening disease and i need to take steps to save its life.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
This is normal after shipping stress in gem tangs. Here’s a couple pictures of ones right after receiving to show it’s typical stress marks. After 24 hours they’ll be gone.

Attachments

• 7D4AC64B-D00A-4121-AFB1-BB9860E3FCFA.jpeg
    7D4AC64B-D00A-4121-AFB1-BB9860E3FCFA.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 188
  • D7CD5179-73A2-488B-953B-C1620F2E91A1.jpeg
    D7CD5179-73A2-488B-953B-C1620F2E91A1.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 181

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ive seen many weird variants including bar-code gem but wow. Wonder if stress markings that will fill/restore to norm?

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal after shipping stress in gem tangs. Here’s a couple pictures of ones right after receiving to show it’s typical stress marks. After 24 hours they’ll be gone.
Sweet! That's what i was looking for. Never seen anything like this and wanted to make sure i didn't get a fish with some weird disease that needed urgent treatment. I feel a lot better hearing that.

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Sweet! That's what i was looking for. Never seen anything like this and wanted to make sure i didn't get a fish with some weird disease that needed urgent treatment. I feel a lot better hearing that.
I had the same sort of panicked thought process you did the first time I got one. Obviously because they aren’t a cheap fish. But after I’ve gotten over 2 dozen now every single one has the same markings upon arrival. It has to be something to do with the shipping stress but I’ve never seen it take more than 24 hours to return to normal, even less sometimes.

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same sort of panicked thought process you did the first time I got one. Obviously because they aren’t a cheap fish. But after I’ve gotten over 2 dozen now every single one has the same markings upon arrival. It has to be something to do with the shipping stress but I’ve never seen it take more than 24 hours to return to normal, even less sometimes.

Wish i could give you an award, i texted a more experienced guy from the LFS and he said he's never seen that before but they don't get a lot of gem tangs, so i figured someone on the forums would know.

Looks like even other very experienced reefers haven't seen much of this so i don't feel so crazy haha

Thank you again. I'll edit my subject line and deal with the vendor, but leave the post here for hopefully others to learn from

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - those are typical stress marks that this species shows. My concern here is how bad was the stress? Moving a fish from 1.016 to full salinity needs to be done over a few days, not through acclimation.

Jay

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - those are typical stress marks that this species shows. My concern here is how bad was the stress? Moving a fish from 1.016 to full salinity needs to be done over a few days, not through acclimation.

Jay
In the interest of caution, i had my wife dump RODI to salinity match the QT tank to the bag, to avoid further stress and exacerbating whatever the unknown situation further. My plan was to raise him to 1.022 which is what i run my QT over the course of the next 24 hours or so, definitely not in a rush to raise it, even moreso now knowing this is stress related

Edit: clarify to say we matched salinity from the start. Since originally a concern it could have been velvet, we got him straight into copper, did not drip. Only temperature acclimation

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so but pretty sure he's looking for an opinion on what's wrong with the fish. Inquiring minds would like to know. 35 years of reefs and not seen anything like that.
@MnFish1 has a way of doing this in threads. Always policing everyone, thinking they know best.

@CCK_8814 came through with the actual answer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back