Vendor pricing or lack there of!

Agamerce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad mods allow threads of opinion too! I think some of the problem is many people have different consumer protection laws depending upon your home State in USA. That may also limit a vendors customer base because this is an international site. For understanding, would this be a site based in CA?

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally take a pass on any corals for sale that do not post a price or at least a direct link to their website where I can get a price.

Even if the vendor has no bad intentions it comes off as being shady and doesn't make the vendor look very good.I'm sure the reason they do this is they don't want to deal with all the comments about the price being too high, which is understandable.

freakit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solution: Just start posting the prices that were quoted to you in the comments on the sale thread.

Freedom of speech ;) (although technically it probably doesn't apply here lol)

+1 On a separate thread.

pablue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that i tend to pass on any corals that don't have a price on them. I feel like thats a huge case with a lot of people and probably loses a good amount of business for some of the vendors. however i get the desire to run their sales how they wish. However i think and know off a vendor or two that will for sure give two different prices depending on who it is PM'ing them. is that fair, probably not but. but thats also what you get for buying history with vendor and honestly no different then me walking into my local shop and getting my special treatment over the newer guy that getting taken care of after i walk out the door with a frag or two for free haha.

Bottom line i guess for me is.... well if you don't like it don't buy from them! they aren't gonna go broke or belly up without your money

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The amount of time some have spent ranting they could have pm'd many vendors for price.
It doesn't bother me.
Most I have pm'd have responded very quick. Vendors will give deals to people. If you ask for a few pieces your expecting some type of discount from the vendor. If the vendor gives you a deal then they in turn are offering a different price. Nothing wrong with that

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my two cents...

I don't shop the vendors who don't post prices because I don't agree with the practice. I shop the vendors who post prices. That's my right to choose and their right to choose. We live in a representative democracy but it doesn't have to be that way here. This is a club organization with it's own bylaws that act within the confines of state and federal law. If you don't like it then you can post your gripes here or wherever complaints are allowed but the easiest thing to do is just move on and buy elsewhere. You can't squash someones rights to appease your own and their rights don't end where your feelings begin. Understand the rules/policies and act accordingly or exercise your right to move on. Again, I understand the frustration...but just shop elsewhere.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one should avoid even the appearance of impropriety, and that vendors who are not fully transparent with pricing are essentially casting doubt on themselves, and leaving it to our nature to assume impropriety.

With all due respect, I wish the rules and/or objectives that allow it were different. These rules or provisions simply do not appear to reflect what I have perceived or assumed.

In trying to play the Devils advocate, the site does bring together the profit minded businessman with the interested consumer, and, it would be counter productive to inhibit interactions by opposing or prohibiting a profit maximizing tactic of those businessmen. Those businessmen make the aspects of the site, those social and educational aspects that I personally value the most, possible.

Regardless, I really like the idea of posting and comparing prices of these vendors, in spending dollars elsewhere, in an effort to discourage and perhaps stop the practice. In my ignorance, the more it's openly opposed and discussed, the more likely it is to stop. I've seen the frustration of some vendors with all the objections, and I think that's a good thing. For every word of opposition written, there's many more that exist but remain unwritten, and any customer minded businesses know this.

Last edited:

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with many others that have posted. I don't ask for prices if I don't see it. I've probably passed up some good prices on certain corals but being that there was no price I'll probably never know. I usually use my experience from dealing with other things such as buying a car. From past experience, when a dealer list their car online and request to call for pricing it's usually more than what others are pricing their vehicles for. For me I see buying from online coral vendors the same way. It seems like it's more of a caution to some buyers and can be a win for others.
I also believe that while my buying practices are my own, if a vendor is having success with the way they are doing things then they should stick to it. If they don't see the potential for increased sales by listing prices then the theres is no point in changing their business concept.
I totally agree with the idea of a thread where buyers can post prices of different corals from vendors. It would be of help in many ways to a lot of people, especially for those who are unsure if they are getting a fair deal or not. For those who would get a better deal, even better. Just like buying a car, sometimes after you've gotten to know your salesman you can usually make a better deal. He or she knows your a serious buyer the next time you come back.
I just wanted to post in agreement to the subject title of the thread and how I agree with others about vendors not listing prices.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back