1   0   0
Untitled-12.jpg

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I am also one that will pass by the vendors that don't post prices. I actually questioned this in a thread one also :)
Reason is I figure the prices are well out of my range since they do not post them "some prices do seem ridiculous" .
Anyways I was pleasantly surprised to see that same vendor put prices on a new thread that was started. Wow I can actually afford some of the stuff ... Just another way to win more customers in my opinion.

EDIT: I do however understand when they are listing 25+ why adding prices can be cumbersome. But 10 items???

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

shakinghorizons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres just a few vendors that you have to lookout for. Not just r2r but everywhere you go. I dont like the pratice in general, but 98% of the sponsers on here are just refering you to their website, or just to showoff some goodies they have.

But on their website they have pricing.........it doesn't say that you have to email them for pricing - SAME CONCEPT!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had to pm 1 vendor here for pricing. He was very fast in responding to my PM and with all the follow up PMs after. I agree that sometimes you get different price for the same item due to various reasons. I don't know if there any rules against that but will be hard to enforce and I am not sure we want to enforce that!

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got no problem with vendors not posting prices. I just am the type that feels no need to PM them, so I move on. I think I feel that they are going to offer up higher prices to see if someone will bite and then offer different prices if not. I don't like playing games like that. Give me a price and if I like it, I will purchase.

Exactly how I feel too.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pricing is a function of supply and demand. The higher the demand, the higher the price (and profit margin) the vendor is able to get. By not posting prices the vendor is able to determine demand before disclosing the price. Can be a smart strategy in the short run but usually not in the long term as many potential customers, myself and obviously others included are suspicious enough not to partake.

Hobe Sound Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a vendor I have posted both ways. One thing I see over and over is that when a vendor posts up pricing with pics there will always be that one person who feels the pricing is too high. They will then consistently post up of how ridiculous the pricing is and how anyone who pays that price is an idiot. Yes sometimes the pricing is out of hand but there are times a vendor paid a lot for that piece and after all it is a business to make money for the most part. So most vendors these days would rather not deal with the drama. Would rather not have to justify themselves and their prices. When I have posted up pics with prices I spent more time having to justify my pricing than anything else. So now I post both ways depending on what I have for sale. I'm writing all of this to speak up for the vendors so hopefully people will read this and understand a little better why we post without prices.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 58 years old. When I was a little kid, there were restaurants (and there are probably still some) that didn't list prices on the menu.

My family was at such a restaurant so I asked my dad if he was going to ask the waiter for the price of EVERY entrée. He said "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

I have never forgotten those words of wisdom. To this day, be it at the grocery store, Craigslist, R2R or anywhere else, if I don't see a posted price, I just move on.

Chris Adams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just summed it up well @wkscott
And with that is the point. The vendors are missing out because some of us suspect prices to be to high and therefor move on.
I am sure the vendors are doing just fine without us :)

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 58 years old. When I was a little kid, there were restaurants (and there are probably still some) that didn't list prices on the menu.

My family was at such a restaurant so I asked my dad if he was going to ask the waiter for the price of EVERY entrée. He said "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

I have never forgotten those words of wisdom. To this day, be it at the grocery store, Craigslist, R2R or anywhere else, if I don't see a posted price, I just move on.
That is the way I look at it as I was brought up the same way, the definition of a yacht is if you have to ask the cost then it is a yacht no matter how small. But since I am on a fixed income if I don't see a price I pass it up.

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the prices arent posted i dont go any farther and im not interested in the all night supposed auction either. Post your product and the price.

Steven Frowine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly think it is the right of vendors to do what they want. I just think they are losing business. I never PM for prices and look at the number of folks responding on this site that don't. Almost half the respondents don't. Realize that only a small percentage of folks on this site who feel this way are talking the time to respond to this thread to get an idea of the total number who do no like this practice and don't buy because of this. Lost sales.
In mail order sales we always went by the rule of thumb that for every complaint expressed there were at least 10 that were not.
Making it easy on the customer is what merchandising is all about.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned a lot of coral and I can't imagine any coral that I would get upset over if I didn't have it and I don't have any problems overlooking someone who won't give you a straight price on something they are selling. Sometimes shade follows shady people and I prefer to be tan.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back