What Do You Look At First In Your Reef?

What do you usually check first when you look at your reef?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 25.0%

  • Total voters
    8

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,647
Reaction score
67,846
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4490010-00985610df9885c92f2f19e977666095.jpg

Photo by @kaduozores of his awesome reef which is our Reef of the Month this month.​

Most of us develop a ritual when we walk up to the tank.

Maybe you stop to watch that one fish that's just so beautiful or has such great personality that you have to check in with him each day, or maybe you immediately count all the fish in the tank to see if anybody is MIA. Maybe you scan the corals for new growth. Maybe you check the water, look for a problem, or simply stand there for a minute and take in the whole scene.

When you approach your reef, what draws your attention first?

BONUS POINTS: What are you hoping to see when you look—and what’s the first sign that makes you realize something might be wrong?
 
To see if everything is still alive and nothing died yet
 
Very first thing I see is dirty glass. A 4ft peninsula is the first thing I see when coming down the hallway from the BR. I face a long side with the opposite side facing a sliding glass door for back lightning. I see all the snail trails and often I'll clean it before I get a cup of coffee 🤭 lagoons tucked into a corner never look this dirty lol.
After that I inspect coral and I do a head count of fish when the lights come on and I feed.
 
I check that everything is generally okay, observe all the fish to see if there are any signs of aggression, and then examine all the corals, looking for signs of STN and/or RTN.
 
I voted 'other.' I always look to see if my urchins have either knocked down a rock, or are carrying off a coral or hapless snail.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new